Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-04-2012, 01:00 PM   #1

Lenses won't click in Pentax k-x ??

My kit Pentax lens and my new Pentax DA 50-200mm F/4-5.6 will not click into place on my Pentax K-x. I think this may be caused because I have used an older Pentax lens that never really clicked in. Now whenever I try to click it in, it will not let me autofocus, and just whirs because it is never really clicked all the way in. When I tried to force my kit lens to click, it caused this part to stick out strangely (see last picture). PLEASE HELP! I need to take this camera to Europe on Monday and don't have money or time to send it away for repairs! Anyone see anything wrong?

**I think it's a problem around the area I circled on the pentax picture!! Please look there!**

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 4S  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 4S  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 4S  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 4S  Photo   

Last edited by maggaloowhoo; 06-04-2012 at 02:23 PM.
06-04-2012, 01:12 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think the lens might be damaged- that aperture lever shouldn't be angled at all. Try pushing it back into place if possible.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

06-04-2012, 01:12 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The lens has a bent aperture flag.
06-04-2012, 01:16 PM   #4

Original Poster
the bent aperture flag is a result of me trying to force it because it didn't click in camera!

06-04-2012, 01:36 PM   #5
Veteran Member

1. are you mounting the lens correctly?
2. is your focus mode switch set to AF?

i could be wrong, but it looks like you're mounting it backwards, since the aperture pin is bending in the opposite direction of how you're supposed to mount the lens
06-04-2012, 01:44 PM   #6

Original Poster
Yes, it is set to AF and I line up the dots and turn clockwise like it is supposed to.
06-04-2012, 01:50 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
scratch on the right part of the mirror box is due to the lever, that is bent.

I suggest you to unscrew the lens mount, put straigt the lever, re-screw the mount.
If you don't feel confident about this, let someone else do it.

Mounting a lens should be done nicely, and never force. It's simple mechanical part. If it don't fit, NEVER force it to fit, because it WON'T fit any better.
06-04-2012, 01:52 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The aperture lever on the lens appears to be damaged, it should be perpendicular to the mount. But also if the camera is set to auto-focus the auto-focus screw should be protruding slightly from the mount. Maybe it is, but in the photos it appears to be recessed down into the camera. Try changing the camera from manual to auto without the lens attached and see if the screw moves in an out.

06-04-2012, 02:00 PM   #9

Original Poster
***this is not a problem with my lens featured in the picture! it's about the camera! the lens is already broken***
and yes, the screw does change. It's a problem with my camera, I'm trying to prevent this from happening to my new lens.
06-04-2012, 02:01 PM   #10
Veteran Member

What older Pentax lens have you used? The camera mount seems fine, except it is very scratched. I would recommend you to take a deep breath and calm down before doing any further damage. The lens is not ok, and as @aurele said before, it will not be any better if you force it. I may be asking the obvious, but you do know how K-mount lenses should be mounted, right? (align red dot on the camera mount with red dot on lens mount, then turn clockwise).
06-04-2012, 02:03 PM   #11

Original Poster
That lens is broken- I'm done with it. I'm trying to prevent a new lens from being damaged. Something in the camera is preventing ALL of my lenses from clicking, not just the already broken one. and yes, I have used that lens for two years now- I know how to mount it.
06-04-2012, 02:18 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by maggaloowhoo Quote
Something in the camera is preventing ALL of my lenses from clicking
What lenses do you got. One in peculiar could be responsible. Very unlikely but possible.
06-04-2012, 02:24 PM   #13
Emperor and Senpai
Loyal Site Supporter

Was the old one a k mount? Was it one that had an adapter from m42 to k mount, and if it was, was it one of the ones that has that extra protrusion toward the back that can screw up a DSLR if mounted?

Let me take a pic of my Kx and post it for comparison.
06-04-2012, 02:24 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The "Click" that you are referring to is created by the "Lens Lock Pin" that protrudes from the mount (when looking at the mount, it is the "pin" between the last "A" contact and mount screw).

The "Lens Lock Pin" should be sticking out when looking at the mount and should release into the mount when you push the "Lens Release Button" - doe's this occur and happen?

When you do not here the click, that means that the lens in not completely turned/seated on the body - this will also prevent the AF screw linkage to seat. So in short, before doing anything this is the first and last place where you need to look as this is where the problem (if any) will be...
06-04-2012, 02:28 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Yes, I understand that, but you haven't answered my first question. If you don't stop from freaking out, you will not only be far from solving anything, but also stress us out as well.
Now regarding this "lens click" thing. It is a matter of a spring loaded pin on the camera mount that pops in place into a groove from the lens mount. Anything stopping this from happening (ranging from a broken spring or improper groove on lens to incomplete turn in position) can result in the lens to stop "clicking".
Now searching through your 7-post long history, I see that you have exhibited some interest in M42 lenses and adapters - I don't know if you have ever purchased that adapter, as you never bothered to mention it, but if that is the "older lens" that you are talking about, you should know that it wasn't supposed to pop in place.
I would suggest you that while looking at the camera mount, depress the lens release button and watch the pin as it moves in and out. If it does so, I guess you have eliminated a suspect from being faulty. I really cannot help you further, because of your lack of supplied information.

For all the other posters: sorry for repeating part of what you said, but it took me a while to compose the message, and as a result, you posted before me.

Last edited by kcobain1992; 06-04-2012 at 02:34 PM.