Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-05-2012, 06:39 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think this is normal, and in fact if there is no clearance at all you would never ever turn the focusing collar.

You have to remember that this is a moving part. Small amounts of both off axis play and backlash are normal.

I think if you start calling in complaints about this you are creating a problem where none exists.

06-05-2012, 09:50 AM   #17

I cannot answer your question but, I have a SMC 300 f4 and its focus ring is very solid with no "slop" in any direction/axis.

I believe modern lenses are not as "tight" as the older metal lenses. Maybe the new materials which are used in modern lenses require larger component-to-component clearances than the old lenses. Surely the plastic components could be (and I'm confident they are) made to very exact tolerances. So, I would guess that the materials used in today's non all-metal lens body's require a bit more free play between components to function correctly. But, I'm just guessing.
06-05-2012, 04:17 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I think this is normal, and in fact if there is no clearance at all you would never ever turn the focusing collar.

You have to remember that this is a moving part. Small amounts of both off axis play and backlash are normal.

I think if you start calling in complaints about this you are creating a problem where none exists.
We shall see about that when I bring it to the shop later this month, and I will report back here.

I think I know pretty much what a moving lens part is supposed to do.

JP