Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-05-2012, 02:46 AM   #1

Scrambled SD cards from K20d

I now have a repeat problem with my k20d which I think other people may be having a similar issue with.

On numerous occasions now when I take an image, the camera light on the back blinks for an excessive amount of time whilst attempting to render the image to disk and then errors. The usual message I get is "Cannot display image". On nearly every occasion it happens, it scrambles the card with all of the images lost as nothing is viewable on either the camera or on the computer. I originally thought it was just a dodgy card but now it is happening to many cards of different brands.

I always format the card before using on each occasion and of late have not been deleting images on the go during a days shoot. This happened to 4 different cards over the past 2 weeks whilst away on holiday including one new scandisk card I bought whilst away. I have on occasion been able to use file recovery software to restore images from a damaged card but as I use burst mode occasionally if it errors on the first shot the next shot can destroy what is on there with no chance of recovery.

Is there anyone out there with this exact same issue as I am playing Russian roulette every time I take a photo at the moment?

Thanks for taking time to read through this

Richard

06-05-2012, 12:17 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by curavon Quote
I now have a repeat problem with my k20d which I think other people may be having a similar issue with.

On numerous occasions now when I take an image, the camera light on the back blinks for an excessive amount of time whilst attempting to render the image to disk and then errors. The usual message I get is "Cannot display image". On nearly every occasion it happens, it scrambles the card with all of the images lost as nothing is viewable on either the camera or on the computer. I originally thought it was just a dodgy card but now it is happening to many cards of different brands.

I always format the card before using on each occasion and of late have not been deleting images on the go during a days shoot. This happened to 4 different cards over the past 2 weeks whilst away on holiday including one new scandisk card I bought whilst away. I have on occasion been able to use file recovery software to restore images from a damaged card but as I use burst mode occasionally if it errors on the first shot the next shot can destroy what is on there with no chance of recovery.

Is there anyone out there with this exact same issue as I am playing Russian roulette every time I take a photo at the moment?

Thanks for taking time to read through this

Richard
I would install/reinstall the latest firmware to see if it is corrupt in some way.,
also, try to see figure out if it happens in a certain camera setting... might help diagnose if you take it to get repaired

hope this helps

randy