Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-06-2012, 01:34 AM   #1

landscape

hello all, im going on a hike in the scenic Derbyshire Dales this coming Friday. I will of course be taking my iSTDL* , my tripod and release cable along with cir/pol ,solid ND and lastly, Skylight 1B filter.
My dilema however is this- which lense/s ? I have 28mm smc M 2.8, smc A 50mm f2 , smc M 50mm 1.7 and finally smc A f4-5.6 35-80mm. I do have longer lenses but no filters to fit so i will leave those at home. There will be wide expanses of countryside as well as some nice waterfalls. I want to travel as light as possible as it will be a long walk and i have a spine like a string of conkers !! Your suggestions are greatly appreciated in advance.

06-06-2012, 04:37 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Either 28/2.8 and 50/1.7 or A35-80

My personal option would be the two primes because I like primes and it offers a tad wider (the 28 will probably live on the camera 95%). But the A is very light if weight is a huge concern.
06-06-2012, 05:14 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'd take the 28 and the 35-80, but nothing else...............I agree on the CP and ND, but I would not even bother with the skylight...............

Good shooting!
Dave
06-06-2012, 05:51 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hi, I would go with the M28/2.8 for those big sweeping skies in the dales, and also the M50/1.7 for closer views/general purpose. I would
also include a graduated ND filter to add some contrast to cloud, along with the polariser. I imagine you will mostly use the wide angle.
On a recent trip to Cumbria I took a K30/2.8 lens and DA 55/300 zoom, the best results came from the K30.
Enjoy the trip and hope you get some decent weather.

06-06-2012, 10:45 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Is this a hike or a heavy duty photoshoot? When you talk of trying to go "as light as possible', a tripod is the last thing I'd be thinking of. At most maybe a monopod that doubles as a walking stick - those seem pretty cool; I even made one once. Beyond that, camera +28mm lens is all I'd bother with.
06-07-2012, 02:18 AM   #6

Original Poster
landscape

thanks very much for the valuable advice, one last question.....i will be using the in-camera metering for the landscape shots but need advice regards spot, multi-seg or centre-weighted ??? Thanks in advance.
06-07-2012, 08:31 AM   #7
Veteran Member

USe the one you are comfortable with - no reason to change now. In particular if you aren't already an expert in the very specific reasons to use spot metering and how to perform the adjustments necessary, rule that out immediately.

06-07-2012, 08:41 AM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by billypip Quote
i will be using the in-camera metering for the landscape shots but need advice regards spot, multi-seg or centre-weighted
Since all of your lenses are manual, I don't think you get a choice of metering mode, but I'm not sure about how that works on the *ist. In general, leave it on multi-seg unless it's not giving you the results you want. You'll have to check your camera's manual to see what restrictions there are when you have a non-auto-focus lens attached.
06-07-2012, 08:46 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Oh yeah, I forgot we were talking about fully manual lenses. Multisegment isn't actually an option; if you normally use that, it will automatically switch to center weighted. And since spot metering is only for special cases and only for people who already understand how to use it - it is *not* a point and shoot mode, but requires manual intervention - the question answers itself: you have no choice but center weighted.
06-07-2012, 07:43 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A lot of good advice here, but sometimes that 28 may be too wide for a landscape. In more "intimate" landscapes you may just want to select a part of what's out there. One of my favorite landscapes that I've done was at 300mm. It's a group of deer in front of a stand of trees (ppg p6). I would have had nothing at 28mm, try to get closer and the deer would run, and face it, you can't always get closer. This one is also at 300mm and in PPG:
06-10-2012, 02:36 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I'd take the lot and deal with the weight... That said I've often walked in the dales with just a 28 and a 50

The 28 should see some use up in the peak district... I'm Yorkshire based and the FA28 is my 'landscape-lens' but if you have a 100mm macro (or any other macro lens) I wouldn't dismiss it at this time of year... Both the flowers and the bugs are out in force and tele-lenses oft produce beautiful landscapes too...