Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-08-2012, 12:52 PM   #1

K100D dead

After using my trusty K100 this morning and leaving it switched on, it started making a strange ticking noise (a bit like the AF working, but coming from the body). It then displayed a low battery, which I changed, and since then has refused to power on. Tried various battery combinations, but refuses to display anything at all! Anyone have an idea as to the problem and how to solve it? Perfect timing, I go on holiday tomorrow morning for a week!! No previous faults, always been reliable til now!

Last edited by dave-s; 06-08-2012 at 01:41 PM. Reason: typo
06-08-2012, 02:39 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I cannot guess what is wrong. But given the urgency I would suggest taking the batteries out for as long as possible - such as until just before you leave, to see whether allowing it to completely discharge may enable it to resotre its state. That kind of thing can help with other digital electronics. Then decide whether to even carry it on the trip. No point carrying a brick.
06-08-2012, 07:22 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dave-s Quote
After using my trusty K100 this morning and leaving it switched on, it started making a strange ticking noise (a bit like the AF working, but coming from the body). It then displayed a low battery, which I changed, and since then has refused to power on. Tried various battery combinations, but refuses to display anything at all! Anyone have an idea as to the problem and how to solve it? Perfect timing, I go on holiday tomorrow morning for a week!! No previous faults, always been reliable til now!
I had the same thing happen (thought it may be an excuse for an upgrade

But I then cleaned the battery contacts (with a pencil eraser) and it came back to life. Kinda glad too -- the K100DS is a fine camera. Good luck!
06-12-2012, 08:10 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just cleaned the sensor on my wife's K100 and it made that sound when the mirror was locked up so it exposes the sensor. could yours be stuck?

good luck

randy

06-17-2012, 03:54 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Left the camera without power for a week, but when powered up, same thing again. Faint ticking noise from body (whether switched off or on and same with/ without lens attached), but nothing on any display and no functionality. 8-( Miror is down and moving it manually does nothing 8-( .
Looks like upgrade is imminent. 8-) What do you recommend at reasonable price that can accept my old (from ME Super days) Pentax lenses?
Cheers

Dave
06-18-2012, 09:19 AM   #6
Pentaxian

All Pentax DSLR's can accepts old lenses. You'd have to give more specifics on your requirements to make more specific recommendations. Otherwise, my default answer would be, get a used K-x as something that is reasonably cheap and a significant upgrade over your K100D in almost all ways.
06-21-2012, 08:47 AM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
All Pentax DSLR's can accepts old lenses. You'd have to give more specifics on your requirements to make more specific recommendations. Otherwise, my default answer would be, get a used K-x as something that is reasonably cheap and a significant upgrade over your K100D in almost all ways.
I don't own one, but I agree with Marc, you will get them at a good price used and will be a nice upgrade from the k100d

randy
06-21-2012, 09:19 AM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies, I have been looking at specs and really fancy the K5 but price is a little out of my league. The Kx seems to be a great camera though, so will look around for one . What is the main difference between Kx and Kr, as I have seen a couple of these for sale?

Cheers

Dave

06-21-2012, 10:39 AM   #9
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The K-r has a couple of nice-to-haves that the K-x doesn't. Main ones that persuaded me to spend a little bit extra on a K-r were:
- 920K dot display rather than 270K
- AF confirmation in the viewfinder
- AF assist lamp.

Just by the by, six months after I bought a K-r, I replaced it with a K-5. That was the one I really wanted anyway. Buy right or buy twice.
06-21-2012, 10:53 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

Between the Kx and the Kr I would go KR, it's a no brainer as they will have had less use in most cases and offer some nice extras as pointed out. The K30 is on the horizon but may be more than you want to spend as well. It should ship any day now AFAIK. 599 pounds body only at jessops (don't know if they are the cheapest UK dealer they were the only one I could think of)
It will give you almost all the K5 benefits and a better movie mode and Focus peaking for shooting with your manual lenses
A good low use K5 is getting much more affordable now as well with the successor on the horizon in September
06-30-2012, 02:17 PM   #11

Original Poster
Finally received a reply from a Pentax repair shop - AsahiPhoto in Uk who suggest the problem is with the motherboard and repair may be 'uneconomical'

Bit disappointed that a 4 year old SLR should 'die' with only 1500 actions Thankfully my ME Super (safe in a cupboard) gives me hope for a future with Pentax, otherwise I may consider a move to the dark side

Looks like this will lead to an upgrade - now lookin at the K5.

Thanks for the replies.
06-30-2012, 07:08 PM   #12
Site Supporter

Bit disappointed that a 4 year old SLR should 'die' with only 1500 actions
I think it died from lack of use...I shoot about twice that on vacations :-)

Any of the recent cameras will be a significant upgrade - and with a quieter shutter.
07-01-2012, 01:54 AM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
I think it died from lack of use...
Note to self - "Must get out more"