Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-08-2012, 11:07 PM   #1
Forum Member

Sensor dust

I love the Pentax K10D but keep having a repeating problem - dust on the sensor. I do not change lenses very often and mainly the kit lens is the one in use. At least twice a month I have to clean it with a Pocket Rocket dust blower. Usually this helps. I have some years experience with Olympus DSLR cameras and I have to admit that I never had ANY dust problem. I would like to hear from your experience about this and what should I do if the dust cannot be removed with a dust blower?

06-09-2012, 12:33 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If a blower won't remove it, either deal with it in post-processing, send it to be cleaned, or clean it yourself(Wet method)

In regards to what might be causing it, sometimes the kit lens will sort of vacuum dust into the sensor area when it zooms.(I know it blows like a hurricane on my 18-135 with my K-5 when I have the Mic port open or the SD card slot open)
06-09-2012, 01:55 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I use the butterfly from visibledust, works well and simple
06-09-2012, 04:43 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I tell my K20D to dust-shake the sensor at every power-up -- and I power-up with almost every lens change. I blow a little canned air into the body after every few lens changes. I use the O-ICK1 Official Pentax Sensor Cleaning Kit about once a month. And even though I'm usually in high dry climes, I still find crud. Such is life.

06-09-2012, 05:25 AM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter

Use a new sensor for every shot! Never had a problem with my MX.
06-09-2012, 05:44 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Sadly, the dust-shaker in the K10D isn't something to write home about. It was much more a gimmick and a bullet-point for the sales brochure than a actual functional piece of equipment. It did not reduce the amount of sensor cleaning at all.
The K7 and above has a hugely improved dust shake system, (probably much more akin to what the Olympus had), and I have rarely had to use the rocket blower on either my K7 or K5 cameras, and have never had to use more that the blower in the years that I've owned these.

I've heard the Arctic Butterfly works really well if the blower cannot get at the stuff. Beyond that, you're probably stuck with wet wipe system. Just be sure you get the right cleaning fluid!! There are different wet fluids for different sensor coatings, and you don't want to eat away your sensor coatings along with the dust. :-) :-)
06-09-2012, 05:55 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Yes the dust removal is much more efficient in the K7/K5 - never had to do any sensor cleaning of any type, ever! My K200d, with the old sensor shake mechanism, got the odd dust mote. My istDL had no dust removal tool at all, and needed regular cleaning.
06-09-2012, 06:34 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Here's the method I use to clean the sensor.

I might also add that I have a SensorKlear sensor cleaning pen that I use if I have a stubborn spot the brush won't remove. After using the sensor cleaning pen, I clean with the blower & brush method above. So far it's worked great & I haven't had to wet clean yet. Pretty easy & safe, too.

Cheers,
Bobbo :-)

06-20-2012, 08:35 PM   #9
Inactive Account

I've used the sensorklear pen also on a couple of spots and it cleaned them. Most of the time just a blower fixes the problem.