Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
06-14-2012, 09:55 AM - 1 Like   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
As always, best results are obtained not by finding one group of magic settings and then just pointing and shooting. best results are always obtained by *understanding* how your camera works. that way, no matter what settings you use as a starting point, you will know when to take more manual control. You can use practically any group of settings you want as a starting point; what makes the difference is understanding why, when, and how to take more control yourself.

06-14-2012, 03:51 PM   #17

First off, I would practice. Because it is really easy to get perfectly exposed sky and underexposed birds. Just practice with shooting the leaves on trees in your backyard. If there are no birds, just pretend the leaf is a bird. :P

I agree with the center AF. I would also add to lock your auto exposure to your focus point or just cut to the chase and use spot metering.

Well, actually I'm not sure I would use an auto mode at all. I would use manual, and meter to shady grass. Open the aperture as wide as you are willing and able, set the shutter speed to as slow as you can (while still fast enough to keep out motion blur), and then crank up the ISO as far as you need to.
06-14-2012, 10:52 PM   #18

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
is there any seetings which will make the subject tracking ?like AF Tracking?
06-15-2012, 07:37 AM - 1 Like   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

if the camera has no TAv mode like my K5, then I suggest you go for setting Av mode, with auto ISO and set the auto ISO range to the highest value you want or are comfortable with..

What this will do, is follow the minimum shutter speed rule for the exposure until auto ISO brings the ISO to the minimum value, and then start increasing shutter speed further.

Be careful here not to set the minimum ISO too low, or you will be shooting most of the time at the minimum shutter speed.

For me, I find a little noise but an other wise sharp image preferable to a clean (noise wise) blurred image.

WHen I shoot Manual aperture lenses, I leave on the K5 the ISO between 1600 and 3200 (i am using a 500mm F6.9 lens after all) and use green button to set exposure with the F stop I select.

also note SR does really well on the camera to cheat a little on the shutter speed

06-15-2012, 09:15 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Be careful here not to set the minimum ISO too low, or you will be shooting most of the time at the minimum shutter speed.

For me, I find a little noise but an other wise sharp image preferable to a clean (noise wise) blurred image.

WHen I shoot Manual aperture lenses, I leave on the K5 the ISO between 1600 and 3200 (i am using a 500mm F6.9 lens after all) and use green button to set exposure with the F stop I select.
Here you run into another problem with the low-end cameras. Unlike the K-5, you can't set the minimum ISO on a K-r, only the maximum. That's why I suggest using Tv mode.

This is a situation where being able to set the program line using the MTF would be ideal, but the K-r doesn't do that either.

Last edited by boriscleto; 06-15-2012 at 09:23 AM.
06-15-2012, 11:01 AM   #21
Veteran Member

with my K-x. . .

This shot is nothing to brag about, but like you, I was experimenting with settings last year; I took this pic with the 55-300:

I set my K-x to 5 point AF-C, centre weighted metering and shutter speed to about 1/640 or faster (as I'm not that good at panning yet, so I need a high shutter speed). In this pic the shutter speed was 1/1000 and ISO 400. The camera chose an aperture of f11.
06-17-2012, 08:45 PM   #22

Original Poster
I would like to Thank every one who posted the tips I had an awesome time with my KR & Birds.. I am uploading few of the best clicks..
Comments /Suggestions welcome..

AJ

Attached Images

07-17-2014, 08:14 PM   #23
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Pentax Forums is my encyclopedia.
I've been using my K-30 for the past 2 months, shooting birds, and while my results would pass, I found I had to PP entirely too much.
Therefore, I knew I was making grave errors.
So, today, I decided to bring up the K-5, using the DA 55-300 and after reading this thread, used the Tav setting, and my results straight out of the camera, in my opinion, are exceptional, for my skill level.
So, with that said, thank you to all that contributed with special thanks to those that suggested Tav mode.
Sorry for the old thread bump, but a thank you was necessary, I felt.