Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-12-2012, 04:54 AM   #1

Every Button pressed sounds like a photo has been taken

I have had a K5 for over a year now. Love it.
BUT.....over the last few weeks it has started to give me a problem. It doesn't seem to matter which button I press or whether I try and take a photo I get a sound as if I had taken a photo. But a photo is not actually taken. This happens regardless of which lens I use and also happens with no lens attached. So it cannot be due to dirty contacts on the lens.

The problem is intermittent (inevitably) and so far I have not been able to establish what sets this problem off. I have tried with a fully charged battery or a partially discharged battery - doesn't seem to matter. Also taking the battery out and then reinserting it. Sometimes this stops the problem for a while. Also switching the camera off can help but not always.

Am in Spain at present, could heat affect it? But I'm fairly sure this problem has happened in England with no high temperatures.

Hope I've clearly explained the problem. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Cheers....John

06-12-2012, 05:32 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Do a search for 'mirror flop'. If I recall correctly, a PCB needs to be replaced. Warranty affair (and EU law gives user protection for 2 years if I'm not mistaken, even if the warranty has ended).
06-12-2012, 06:07 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Something like this?

I sent mine in to Pentax couple of times and eventually they got it fixed after quite a long wait.. Not sure if it was due to parts or them trying different fixes, but it eventually worked properly again

Here's what they fixed according to the report:
REPLACED APERTURE/SHUTTER F.P.C.
REPLACED TIMING CAM GEARS
ADJUSTED TO MANUFACTURERS SPECIFICATIONS
GENERAL CHECK AND CLEAN
RESET ALL
06-14-2012, 01:37 PM   #4

Original Poster
Yes - exactly like that Darren. I can often take a couple of shots then it goes into 'Mirror Flop' mode. Fortunately it's still under warranty (not over a year as I first thought) and I'll sort this out when I'm home from holiday in Spain. I'll make a note of what was fixed on your camera!

Thanks and thanks to sterretje. So frustrating - I still have my K7 - wish I'd bought it with for backup! Hindsight is wonderful.

John

12-02-2012, 01:41 PM   #5

My K2000 just did this yesterday. Non-stop. No taking pics in between. I have 2 sets of rechargeable batteries that I use. I rotated out to a different set and all seems ok right now.
12-03-2012, 10:09 PM   #6

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've written of this before, but paraphrasing. My experence, K-r mirror flopped. Things that seemed related, 1) low battery charge. Recharged battery and problem was reduced. 2) type of lens installed, Installed a lens with a metal base instead of the DAL it came with and problem went away. 3) Lens mount and lens contacts dirty. After cleaning problem ended, even when using the DAL kit lens.

I haven't been able to investigate further because after cleaning lens mount contacts the problem has not reoccurred. Low battery charge definitely made the problem worse.

Results on K-5 may be different. Some will say I'm wrong and I say to them PUTTH! Worked for me, that's all I know.