Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-16-2012, 08:37 AM   #16
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Don't know where you are, but even libraries that suck these days are usually hooked up with other bigger libraries in their state or area, or even with all libraries across the nation. I can request pretty much any book out there and I'll get it eventually, whether my library has it or not. Also, there are e-books, even photography books (probably not many, but I've seen some), so you can load them up on your laptop/tablet or kindle (maybe) and you don't even have to physically go to the library to borrow or return them. If I traveled a lot I'd definitely have a good tablet and probably a separate Kindle (easier on the eyes).

Ah! The old inter library loan trick! I have processed a many of those.

I find though that if you just go to Barnes and Nobles you can sit in those cushy chairs and read away. Its generally a generic store so regardless of the city (if they are big enough to have B&N) you can go hang out and read for free.

That's what I did. For about half a day to relax. And out of the foot thick stack I was looking through I found a couple keepers.

06-17-2012, 10:44 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TylerD Quote
Hello alamo5000, after I read this I went on to Amazon UK to see what was available for the Kindle.Unfortunately neither of the two you recommended are out on Kindle yet but the print versions are discounted just now at 12.59 each including free delivery if anyone's interested. Another one by Michael Freeman, " Perfect Exposure: The Professional Guide to Capturing Perfect Digital Photographs" was available for the Kindle . The user reviews were very good so I 've gone ahead and bought it. Thanks for the heads up
Don't bother with Kindle edition for most photo books, unless you know that it's been specifically formatted for an e-reader. I bought Freeman's "Perfect Exposure" for the Kindle. It isn't laid out well for the format. Example photos are separated from the text. Images are not of sufficient quality, even on Kindle for iPad. Photos are very marginal on the e-paper Kindle.
06-17-2012, 11:38 AM   #18
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mysticcowboy Quote
Don't bother with Kindle edition for most photo books, unless you know that it's been specifically formatted for an e-reader. I bought Freeman's "Perfect Exposure" for the Kindle. It isn't laid out well for the format. Example photos are separated from the text. Images are not of sufficient quality, even on Kindle for iPad. Photos are very marginal on the e-paper Kindle.

I'm old school when it comes to books. I like my books made of paper. I don't own any of those iMinion devices or kindles or any of those things.

But pretty soon you will have a library in your house you say?

Here is where I throw in my Mr. Burns from the Simpson's "Excellent"...
06-17-2012, 11:48 AM - 1 Like   #19
Veteran Member

My wife bought 'The Photographer's Eye' for me a while back and I really like it. It talks about what I think gets overlooked a lot: the artistic side of photography. So much of what's said on websites and forums revolves around gear and technical aspects of photography. It was nice to read an entire book that delved into composition and what makes a good photograph. From my understanding 'The Photographer's Mind' is a continuation of the idea that goes even deeper, I haven't read it yet though. I picked up Freeman's 'Perfect Exposure' and read it but wasn't wild about it. It covers an alternative system, that is proclaimed to be so flexible that it's not really a system, for getting the right exposure in many different situations. I think it's okay reading but I had a hard time embracing it for several reasons, one being that he tended to rely on exposure compensation a lot.

BTW: I'm pretty sure Freeman used to shoot Nikon but now uses Sony.

You can check out his website at Michael Freeman Photography

06-17-2012, 02:00 PM   #20
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TomTextura Quote
My wife bought 'The Photographer's Eye' for me a while back and I really like it. It talks about what I think gets overlooked a lot: the artistic side of photography. So much of what's said on websites and forums revolves around gear and technical aspects of photography. It was nice to read an entire book that delved into composition and what makes a good photograph. From my understanding 'The Photographer's Mind' is a continuation of the idea that goes even deeper, I haven't read it yet though. I picked up Freeman's 'Perfect Exposure' and read it but wasn't wild about it. It covers an alternative system, that is proclaimed to be so flexible that it's not really a system, for getting the right exposure in many different situations. I think it's okay reading but I had a hard time embracing it for several reasons, one being that he tended to rely on exposure compensation a lot.

BTW: I'm pretty sure Freeman used to shoot Nikon but now uses Sony.

You can check out his website at Michael Freeman Photography

+1

I completely agree with your post.
06-17-2012, 02:16 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by alamo5000 Quote
I'm old school when it comes to books. I like my books made of paper. I don't own any of those iMinion devices or kindles or any of those things.

But pretty soon you will have a library in your house you say?

Here is where I throw in my Mr. Burns from the Simpson's "Excellent"...
I'm in between when it comes to books. I prefer novels on my Kindle, actually anything that I'll probably only read once. It's great being able to travel with a small library that weighs 8 ounces. But, the Kindle/iPad/phone are not yet good enough platforms for reference books that require visual layout and formatting for optimum readability.