Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-15-2012, 09:55 AM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by FragileBird Quote
Would it be worth going out and renting a K-5 to see what works on it and what doesn't?
If you wish, but not really necessary. Like I said, all your lenses will work, and some will be fine. My basic rule is to ask myself: What do I want to do that I can't do with what I have already? The answers drive me to specific lenses.

06-15-2012, 10:09 AM   #17

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
If you wish, but not really necessary. Like I said, all your lenses will work, and some will be fine. My basic rule is to ask myself: What do I want to do that I can't do with what I have already? The answers drive me to specific lenses.

At the moment when using my 35mm I can't think of much I can't do with what leses I have. With my Nikon I can do a lot with but I'm limited to 18-55mm. Which is where its nice to grab the 80-200mm and if need be put the 2x converter on.

Which was why I wanted to know if I should get a Dlsr Pentax. Same lenses that do what I need, but can switch to the digital and shoot away. I'm sure if I do get a Pentax maybe k5 or k30? I'll get new lenses over time to make use of the AF system. Was just looking for the convenience of carrying the same x amount of lenses that can be use on either camera.

Sorry If I missed, but if for the time being I got a converter for my Nikon to do the k mounts would it work? Or would there be issues sine I'd be crossing over?
06-15-2012, 04:18 PM   #18
Veteran Member

At the moment when using my 35mm I can't think of much I can't do with what leses I have. With my Nikon I can do a lot with but I'm limited to 18-55mm. Which is where its nice to grab the 80-200mm and if need be put the 2x converter on.
We have much debate here about TCs. Good TCs with good fast long (expensive) lenses can give good results. Most other TCs just magnify a lens' problems. Flaws that aren't noticeable with prints from film become very apparent on computer screens. If you want photographic results, it's usually best just to crop an image. Most TCs are suitable when content trumps quality, and disappointing otherwise. I recommend using TCs for surveillance, blackmail, crime-planning, etc.

QuoteQuote:
Which was why I wanted to know if I should get a Dlsr Pentax. Same lenses that do what I need, but can switch to the digital and shoot away. I'm sure if I do get a Pentax maybe k5 or k30? I'll get new lenses over time to make use of the AF system. Was just looking for the convenience of carrying the same x amount of lenses that can be use on either camera.
Yes, the same lenses that work on your K1000 will work on a K5 or K30 or any other Pentax dSLR. Only problem is that you might not be satisfied with the zooms. I don't use my K1000 much, but my MV1 and ZX-M share many lenses with my K20D. And I use M42 screwmount lenses on all these as well as my M42 cams.

QuoteQuote:
Sorry If I missed, but if for the time being I got a converter for my Nikon to do the k mounts would it work? Or would there be issues sine I'd be crossing over?
Is a problem called register, or flange-focal distance, the distance from the lens base to the frame (film or sensor). Long-register lenses can (usually) be (fairly) easily adapted or modded to fit shorter-register cameras. It doesn't work the other way; short register lenses on longer-register cameras can't focus to infinity without an optical adapter. An optical adapter acts like a short TC, lengthening and slowing the lens and impacting image quality somewhat.

Nikon register is 46.5mm. Pentax Register is 45.46mm. I have modded some manual-focus Nikon lenses to fit Pentax mount. But Pentax bayonet (PK) lenses on a Nikon body will either be good for closeup only, or will need a quality-killing optical adapter. M42 screwmount lenses can be fitted to Nikon with a thin plain adapter, but not PK lenses.

SO: If you get a Nikon dSLR, you can use Nikon-mount or screwmount lenses. Depending on the body, you might lose some lens functionality. If you get a Pentax dSLR, you can use your old Pentax lenses, or virtually any Pentax-compatible or screwmount lenses. If you get a Canon dSLR, you can use almost any Nikon, Pentax, Minolta, Petri, Olympus OM, and various other lenses. Pentax SR (shake reduction) works with ANY mounted lens; Nikon and Canon IS (image stabilization) only works on lenses so equipped.

Hope this helps!
06-18-2012, 02:53 PM   #19

Original Poster
Thanks rico. Sounds like what ever choice I make will be life long. For what ever reason cannon doesn't seem like an option, and Nikon and Pentax are the two I want to use or decide on.

Thanks again for all th
e help!

06-18-2012, 03:40 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Thanks rico. Sounds like what ever choice I make will be life long. For what ever reason cannon doesn't seem like an option, and Nikon and Pentax are the two I want to use or decide on.
Truism about SLRs: When you buy one, you're marrying the lens system. Bodies come and go. Lenses last. "Choose your rut carefully; you'll be in it for a long time." Good luck!
06-22-2012, 04:30 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Just posting to note that I now have a goal in life to acquire one of those 18-28 Sears lenses... I wasn't even aware such a critter existed!

(I have a case of SearsLBA)
07-06-2012, 10:07 PM   #22

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sagitta Quote
Just posting to note that I now have a goal in life to acquire one of those 18-28 Sears lenses... I wasn't even aware such a critter existed!

(I have a case of SearsLBA)
Hah.
I'd post a picture of it but I dont think there is a way to do that from my phone. I honestly know nothing about the lens and I'm highly curious when it was made.

Thanks again everyone for the advice! I'm still eyeballing the k30 but I'm waiting to hear reviews.