Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-14-2012, 08:21 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
"This image cannot be displayed" problem with K5

Got my new K5 today. I've been working out a few bugs. The big one being an apparent issue it's having with a SD card. I forgot to order a good one along with the camera (thinking for some reason it used CF cards, which I have plenty). So, I picked up a cheap one at the store (Sandisk SDHC 2GB). I keep intermittently getting an error on the camera after I take a shot that the "Image cannot be displayed." If I try to download the file onto the computer, it gives an error. The file looks corrupted. Any idea what's going on? To fix the issue (for a little bit) I have to format the card. It works for awhile again before going kaput.

The error often happens after connecting the camera to the computer and downloading files, but not always.

I tried updating to the newest camera firmware, didn't fix the problem.

Thanks for any advice.

06-14-2012, 08:45 PM   #2
Pentaxian

What is the speed of the card?
06-14-2012, 08:49 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It's a class 4 card.
06-14-2012, 08:56 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The K-5 manual troubleshooting section (p-351) says this about that error message:

QuoteQuote:
"You are trying to play back an image in a format not supported by the camera. You may be able to play it back on another brand of camera or your computer"
If you get this message, it suggests to me that you have not formatted the card in your K-5, but have formatted it either on another camera, or on your PC.

06-14-2012, 09:02 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
The K-5 manual troubleshooting section (p-351) says this about that error message:

If you get this message, it suggests to me that you have not formatted the card in your K-5, but have formatted it either on another camera, or on your PC.
I thought that may have been the case, though I have since formatted the card with the K5 and I still have the problem. I'd think class 4 would be fast enough, while maybe not ideal.
06-14-2012, 09:31 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Could be a defective card or worse a counterfit. Many companies knock off Sandisk cards. Even the retailer isn't always aware of this. Friend got a knock off once and it worked part time in about half the cameras we tried and the other cameras it would not work at all. Try in a different camera if possible. Also buy another card at a different store.
thanks
barondla
06-14-2012, 10:08 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Good idea. I need a faster and larger card anyway. Hopefully that'll solve the problem. Thanks for the help, all.