Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-15-2012, 01:47 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
HELP! Tamron PKA adapter stuck on K5 body

HELP!
Anyone has got this problem and can give me advice? I can't get my Tamron adaptall PKA adapter off the body of my K5. This is unusual, I have been using this adapter for years without any problem until this morning.
Please, I don't want to live with Tamron adaptall lenses forever.

Nick

Last edited by Nick; 06-15-2012 at 02:38 PM.
06-16-2012, 04:43 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How have you been using the adaptor so far. Normally it stays with the lens?
06-16-2012, 06:32 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yes, Lowell. It's been always on my Tamron 90mm. Yesterday morning I put it on the 24 2.5 to get some wide shots.
The only thing I dare to do now is to leave the adapter on the body and change the lenses.
What do you suggest?
Thanks

Last edited by Nick; 06-16-2012 at 06:50 AM.
06-16-2012, 06:40 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Edit: I was going to suggest breaking it but it seems expensive. How much do you need to pay for one?

06-16-2012, 08:47 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks, Giklab. But which one do you advise me to break, buddy? The K5 or the adapter?
The K5 is still around $700 to $800 used, and the PKA is about $100, if you can find a good one.
Will have to wait for more tips from this forum members before getting to that last option.
06-16-2012, 11:53 AM   #6
Veteran Member

The adapter of course. The camera is too tough I'd say .

Did you check the aperture mechanism (if you even can)? Try moving anything that can be moved/nudged/rattled etc.
06-16-2012, 11:54 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nick Quote
Yes, Lowell. It's been always on my Tamron 90mm. Yesterday morning I put it on the 24 2.5 to get some wide shots.
The only thing I dare to do now is to leave the adapter on the body and change the lenses.
What do you suggest?
Thanks
That's an unusual situation, I didn't think it was possible to take the lens off separately from the adapter when the lens is mounted on the camera.

Let's reconstruct your problem; how do you normally use your Adaptall-2 lenses (mount and dismount onto the camera and swapping the adapter between lenses)? Detail it as much as you can.

06-16-2012, 01:32 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by excanonfd Quote
That's an unusual situation, I didn't think it was possible to take the lens off separately from the adapter when the lens is mounted on the camera.

Let's reconstruct your problem; how do you normally use your Adaptall-2 lenses (mount and dismount onto the camera and swapping the adapter between lenses)? Detail it as much as you can.
It is possible to remove the lens from the adapter while still attached to the camera, but not usually necessary. Just move the aperture ring to the widest setting, push the chrome lever and rotate.

An Adaptal-2 lens with PKA adapter should mount/dismount the same as any other A-contact mount lens. There are no "gotchas" or special hazards. Ditto for the PK adapter. Simply press the lens release on the body and rotate counter-clockwise. Looking at mine as I type this, I don't see any opportunity for jam unless the mount had been modified at some time in the past.

Steve

(BTW, we are talking about the PKA mount and not the Ricoh P version adapter, are we not?)
06-16-2012, 01:39 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Giklab Quote
The adapter of course. The camera is too tough I'd say .

Did you check the aperture mechanism (if you even can)? Try moving anything that can be moved/nudged/rattled etc.
Should not make any difference. There is no aperture ring coupling between lens and body on the K5 or any other Pentax dSLR. The only physical coupling is the aperture actuator lever and the AF drive pawl.

Three possible scenarios:
  • Bent aperture actuator is jammed in the works (unlikely)
  • The aperture actuator guard has broken and is jammed in the works (unlikely)
  • Very worn mount has over-rotated in the body (also very unlikely)
But as they say, regardless of how unlikely, if the situation exists...

Steve
06-16-2012, 02:13 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you can remount the 90mm make sure that it is locked into the adaptor and push the release button. Also check that the release pin is retracting. Maybe try to put a 0.001" feeler between the body and mount
06-16-2012, 02:41 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
It is possible to remove the lens from the adapter while still attached to the camera, but not usually necessary. Just move the aperture ring to the widest setting, push the chrome lever and rotate.

An Adaptal-2 lens with PKA adapter should mount/dismount the same as any other A-contact mount lens. There are no "gotchas" or special hazards. Ditto for the PK adapter. Simply press the lens release on the body and rotate counter-clockwise. Looking at mine as I type this, I don't see any opportunity for jam unless the mount had been modified at some time in the past.

Steve

(BTW, we are talking about the PKA mount and not the Ricoh P version adapter, are we not?)
I was trying to figure out how the adapter got jammed, maybe when the OP replaced the 90 with the 24, he might have forcibly rotated the adapter further into the body mount?
06-16-2012, 04:50 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Action

Hi all;

Thank you for your suggestions. Actually, I have 2 of these adapters, so, I put the other on my Kx, compared them to see what could be the culprit.
After an hour on them, I decided to use the last resort. Better let it go to save and to enjoy the K5. As I my eyes and my set of screwdrivers are not top notch, I had to break it. Here is a couple of pics of the remain. Anyone wants it for usable parts or to repair is welcome to PM me for free.

Nick

Last edited by Nick; 07-16-2013 at 03:16 PM.
06-16-2012, 05:30 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nick

I note you AE in Toronto. I have a PKA adaptor that got bent in the middle. Care to donate the bits to see if ai can make one out of the two?
06-16-2012, 05:36 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Lowell

It's yours for a cup of ice cap!
PM me for location to pick up.
06-16-2012, 07:32 PM   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Nick Quote
Hi all;

Thank you for your suggestions. Actually, I have 2 of these adapters, so, I put the other on my Kx, compared them to see what could be the culprit.
After an hour on them, I decided to use the last resort. Better let it go to save and to enjoy the K5. As I my eyes and my set of screwdrivers are not top notch, I had to break it. Here is a couple of pics of the remain. Anyone wants it for usable parts or to repair is welcome to PM me for free.

Nick
So...as a matter of post mortem reporting...

What part was jammed onto the camera? From what I can see, the mount itself appears to be unscathed by your application of force.

Steve