Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-16-2012, 03:47 PM   #1

Pentax ME not metering correctly?

I tried my ME Super and K-x on the same settings for Aperture and ISO, and my ME had a faster shutter speed by 3/4 stops. What could be causing this? :S?

06-16-2012, 06:55 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Meter both against a blank wall in even light with the same lens. It was not unusual back-in-the-day for meters to be off by a 1/2 stop or so, even brand new.

Steve
06-16-2012, 07:00 PM   #3
Pentaxian

What batteries are you using?
06-16-2012, 07:27 PM   #4
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
What batteries are you using?
Good point. Alkaline batteries drop voltage as they discharge. Silver cells do not.

Steve

06-16-2012, 07:37 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Good point. Alkaline batteries drop voltage as they discharge. Silver cells do not.
And some are the wrong voltage to begin with. The ASA dial can be used as an EV compensator.
06-17-2012, 05:12 AM   #6

Original Poster
I am using Alkaline batteries actually, they're some cheap ones which were suppose to be temporary. So should I just use the ASA dial to compensate for now and get some new batteries?

I checked it again and it seems to be a stop off, I thought it was quite weird I was getting shutter speeds of 2000 on a cloudy day with F8. :S
06-17-2012, 07:49 AM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by userage Quote
I checked it again and it seems to be a stop off, I thought it was quite weird I was getting shutter speeds of 2000 on a cloudy day with F8. :S
Ummmm...that would be a little more than 1 stop off.

Fresh alkaline batteries should work fine, though silver cells are highly recommended both for life span and performance. Did you compare the two cameras against a blank, evenly-lit surface? The reason why I suggested that is that the metering systems are quite different between the two bodies. Your ME Super is strictly center-weighted averaging with a bias to the lower part of the image. Even with your K-x in center-weighted mode, the pattern is likely not quite the same. Compare readings against a uniform target and then use the film-speed dial to compensate. You can also use the exposure compensation feature (duh!) to accomplish the same thing.

Steve
06-17-2012, 08:07 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Ummmm...that would be a little more than 1 stop off.

Fresh alkaline batteries should work fine, though silver cells are highly recommended both for life span and performance. Did you compare the two cameras against a blank, evenly-lit surface? The reason why I suggested that is that the metering systems are quite different between the two bodies. Your ME Super is strictly center-weighted averaging with a bias to the lower part of the image. Even with your K-x in center-weighted mode, the pattern is likely not quite the same. Compare readings against a uniform target and then use the film-speed dial to compensate. You can also use the exposure compensation feature (duh!) to accomplish the same thing.

Steve
It was off by one stop when I tried it against the wall, I know it was off by a lot more when I was out.

06-17-2012, 08:57 AM   #9
Pentaxian

What are the exact batteries you have? What is the number on them? What is the supposed voltage?
06-17-2012, 06:11 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The ME Super is a very old camera... are you certain there isn't a problem with the camera's meter?