Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-17-2012, 10:26 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Advice needed on buying rings...

I know its a small part but recently I ordered a screwmount ring adapter off ebay. Waited for weeks. It was delivered from China.

Problem: the thing didn't fit on my K-5. It was so tight I didn't want to even try to force it on.

They refunded my money...but now it has me wondering about other rings...

I read that I can get a reverse mount ring so I can do really close macro stuff... I REALLY would like one of those kinds of rings... I have found them on eBay but is there any way to tell which ones are good and which ones are not?

Will a few of you let me know any brands or whatnot that I should stick to or what to find out.... how can I know unless I try it... I am just shooting in the dark here but I don't want to get run around. I want a 52mm reverse mount ring...

06-18-2012, 12:01 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
I can't help you with reverse mount adapter recommendations Have you tried searching in this forum?

Poor 3rd party M42 to K-mount adapters are common. You can take a look at the thread I have started some time ago: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-technical-troubleshooting/167741-...-solution.html

The topic has been discussed a lot, so searching further may help.

Good luck!
06-18-2012, 01:57 AM   #3
dms
Site Supporter

Pentax made a reverse screwmount adapter (for 49mm filter size). They are pretty common and cheap I believe--try KEH, B&H, etc. I got mine several years ago at B&H. I think it was $15.00 about 5 years ago.
06-18-2012, 02:02 AM   #4
dms
Site Supporter

Just noticed you said you want 52mm. Most pentax screw mount lens are 49mm--but presume you are reversing another lens--so also get a 52mm to 49mm step down ring. I have never had a problem with step up/step down rings.

06-18-2012, 02:16 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Both kit lenses 18-55 and 50-200 are both 52mm filter threads so a reverse mount would have to be 52 also. But I know a lot of primes are 49mm also many of the older screw mounts are 49mm.

As for M42 to K mount adapters, I always suggest the genuine Pentax version. It's the one that I own and I've never had a problem with it. However, they are not "in season at the momment". if you can find them they are pretty expensive brand new. My suggestion is look around the marketplace ocassionally one pops up there.

As for reversing rings, my local camera shop gave a good diy tip to me. Try to find those old Corkin filter rings two of them and glue them together with epoxy or some hard glueing agent and voila.
06-18-2012, 02:27 AM   #6
dms
Site Supporter

I am confused about what you want--are you looking to:

1) reverse a lens and mount on a M42 camera (spotmatic etc.)--that was what I replied to
2) reverse a lens and mount on a K mount camera--if so it appears Pentax makes (made) one for 49 and one for 52mm--look under lens accesaries
3) or a ring to allow mounting a lens reversed onto a 2nd lens --these are only 3rd party--and B&H carries them I believe. Yes you can make them but they are available.
06-18-2012, 03:52 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by alamo5000 Quote
Problem: the thing didn't fit on my K-5. It was so tight I didn't want to even try to force it on.

They refunded my money...
Try adding two round pieces of paper between the lens and the adapter, it will solve your problem.
06-18-2012, 06:42 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I have used numerous 3rd-party mounts and adapters with no trouble. NOTE: With most clone thin-flange M42-PK adapters, remove the screw and clip or YOU WILL GO APESHIT! Are also safe cheap wide-flange M42-PK adapters, well-suited for macro and close work. No problems there.

But the question here is about mount-reversal adapters. I have 3rd-party adapters in 49, 52, and 58mm sizes. I *could* get by with just a PK-58mm ring, and 49-58mm and 52-58mm and 55-58mm step-up rings. Using step rings with the mount-reversal adapter adds a little extension.

Reversing a lens allows|forces very close work, but does not itself add magnification, which ONLY results from extension. A reversed lens with a deep front inset has some extension built-in, as it were, compared to a lens with shallow front inset. For more magnification, add macro tubes of more rings. Easy way to get rings: smash the glass from useless UV filters.

06-18-2012, 04:12 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dms Quote
I am confused about what you want--are you looking to:

1) reverse a lens and mount on a M42 camera (spotmatic etc.)--that was what I replied to
2) reverse a lens and mount on a K mount camera--if so it appears Pentax makes (made) one for 49 and one for 52mm--look under lens accesaries
3) or a ring to allow mounting a lens reversed onto a 2nd lens --these are only 3rd party--and B&H carries them I believe. Yes you can make them but they are available.

Here is more information for clarification. I am talking about two seperate things.

1. I wanted to have a screwmount lens adapter because sometimes I have ran across some old screw mount lenses for sale. I was considering buying some old screw mount lenses and try them out. (M42)

I bought a supposedly K mount adapter and borrowed a screw mount lens from my dad who has had one (unused since the 1970's) to try the ring to see if it would work. The ring screwed on the lens just fine. The problem came that the "K mount" end literally would not fit onto my camera. It was so banjo string tight that I could not get it to twist onto the camera. When they machined the piece the specs they used were just a smidgin off. I wasn't about to try and force the thing onto my brand new camera...it wasn't just tight... it was too tight.

The normal lenses just screw on and click into place. That ring was super thin but the dimensions of it wouldn't even let it turn at the ring to camera connection point.

Now this has made me wonder about other cheapo Chinese made rings. I am still without a screwmount (M42) to K mount lens ring adapter because the one I do have doesn't seem to fit onto my camera.

2. The second and seperate issues is that I read up on macro photography and people were turning lenses over, screwing a mount ring into the threads on the lens (where you normally put a UV filter) and then attaching it to a camera. I was going to use one or two of my 50mm lenses and try this out.

I have more than one 50mm lens and at least two of the lenses have 52mm UV filter threads on them.

I am not so worried that they can make a thread that will fit a 52mm lens thread. But now I AM worried about the K mount (the end that goes into the camera).

I am working under the assumption that all I need is just the adapter ring because I have everything else. I was asking how to tell--or any decent brands that people have actually tested on a K-5. I emailed the sellers and so far ALL of them have indicated their rings were Chinese made, and everyone was mum on whether or not they have actually tried to put a ring on a Pentax camera.

The ones I am looking at are advertised as being compatible with a Pentax mount...but the first ring I bought (the one that wouldn't fit) was also advertised as Pentax compatible. I think it won't fit merely because of poor quality and they didn't machine it to the right specs. But I don't want to go through a huge run around...I just want a good recommendation for a reverse ring that has actually been USED by someone who uses Pentax...

(I also have several lenses with 49mm UV filter size so I could use one of those as well...)

I don't know what the effective result will be if I use a 28mm lens turned upside down (so to speak) vs using a 50mm lens turned upside down...

PS...

I have seen 'macro tubes' but I do not know what they really do or how to use them. (seperate question)
06-18-2012, 04:22 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I got my M42 adapter from Amazon dot com through Rainbow Imaging. It fits well, the screw comes loose now and then but it works fine. I put some fingernail polish on the screw and that helps it stay better. Can't say anything about any of the others.
06-18-2012, 04:41 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Try to find the original ones made by Pentax. They show up on eBay and KEH frequently and work perfectly.

The formal names are "Mount Adaptor K" to use screw mount lenses and "Reverse Adaptor K" in 49mm and 52mm sizes to reverse a lens.
06-18-2012, 06:55 PM   #12
dms
Site Supporter

pentax USA sells the adapter screw mount to K mount for about $22.00 and they have it in stock again! (Why wouldn't you first try pentax?) Anyway--I strongly suggest anyone who is not well versed in this stuff stay with the pentax adapter (it's part number 30120).

As far as the lens reversal--pentax reverse adapter K is listed (here) in the petax forums under accessories--whether pentax still sells it I don't know--but you should be able to get it used.

As far as 3rd party adapters possibly some don't allow for the thickness of plating/anodizing--I had similar problem with a special one that had a inner ring to close down M42 lens that did not have A/M switch. I got my money back and instead modified the lens. I would not bother again w/ non Pentax adapter. Actually the bigger problem is if the non-pentax adapter works and then the lens gets stuck on the camera and/or the camera lens mount is damaged. You will find lots of sad stories about this if you look.
06-18-2012, 07:16 PM   #13
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dms Quote
pentax USA sells the adapter screw mount to K mount for about $22.00 and they have it in stock again! (Why wouldn't you first try pentax?) Anyway--I strongly suggest anyone who is not well versed in this stuff stay with the pentax adapter (it's part number 30120).

As far as the lens reversal--pentax reverse adapter K is listed (here) in the petax forums under accessories--whether pentax still sells it I don't know--but you should be able to get it used.

As far as 3rd party adapters possibly some don't allow for the thickness of plating/anodizing--I had similar problem with a special one that had a inner ring to close down M42 lens that did not have A/M switch. I got my money back and instead modified the lens. I would not bother again w/ non Pentax adapter. Actually the bigger problem is if the non-pentax adapter works and then the lens gets stuck on the camera and/or the camera lens mount is damaged. You will find lots of sad stories about this if you look.
COOL!!! I punched in the part # and up she came.

I don't own any screw mount lenses yet... but that's nice.