Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-18-2012, 11:28 AM   #1

Lens suggestions for Pentax K-5

It's been just over a year since I joined the Pentax family and I am so glad that I did. My Pentax K-X delivered exceptionally well. Though I was just taking pictures with my kit lens, some of the photographs turned out so well that it got published in magazines. Now it's time to let go off my K-X and upgrade to K-5. Just wanted to make use of the low price.

I am an outdoor person. Ultra running is my sport besides rock climbing and ultra biking. I travel a lot and do Travel Photography as well. So weather seal is very important to me. I have already placed the order for Pentax K-5 along with Pentax original grip. I need help in choosing the lens. DA 18-135 WR seems to be a good choice for a walk around lens but are there are any alternatives from Sigma or Tamron?

I am planning to choose one lens for now but would love to add a wide angle lens for landscape photography and a Ultra zoom lens for Wildlife.

Your suggestions would be much appreciated. Planning to place the order by today. Many thanks!

06-18-2012, 11:37 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
If you have to have a sealed lens the WR and DA* lenses are your only choice. Tamron and Sigma are starting to make sealed lenses, but they are not available in K-mount.
06-18-2012, 11:47 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
18-135 is good if you need WR. Both Sigma and Tamron make 18-200 models. There is also the 18-250 but that might be too long for what you are looking for.

There is a review of ultra wide angle lenses here on the forum, but essentially you have the Pentax 12-24, the Tamron 10-24 and the Sigma 10-20.

For ultra zooms I think you basically have the various Sigma (BIGMA) models 50-500, 150-500, etc.
06-18-2012, 11:51 AM   #4
Veteran Member

What Boris said. WR and DA* (but not FA*) lenses are all weather resistant. That's resistant, NOT waterproof. If you plan on getting dunked, get a waterproof camera. Pentax WR is good for shooting in rainstorms, not under waterfalls. So far, nobody else makes WR PK lenses.

06-18-2012, 04:07 PM   #5

Original Poster
@boriscleto Thanks for your suggestion.
@jatrax I guess I'll go with the 18-135mm WR. Reviews sounds great and it would be a great carry around where I don't have to worry about it. Thanks for suggestions on Wide angle and Zoom lens.
@RioRico I do race photography and sometimes I have to stop shooting when it starts raining. I guess with WR, I don't have to worry about it. Thanks for your advice.

Weird but B&H increased the price of the 18-135mm WR back to its original price $529.95 (It was showing the revised price $459.95 until yesterday)