Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-18-2012, 01:06 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How to "fix" a scratched rear monitor screen - Pentax K7 ??

I have sctratched the rear (screen) monitor of my K7 a while back.
Of course it doesn't affect the pictuate wuality but I find it a real bummer when reviewing the images in the field.

I am wondering if, aside from having it replaced by Pentax (and spending an arm-and-a-leg) if something can be done about it.

I tried a little "buffering" but it ididn't work ... didn't make it worse either.

Any suggestion(s)?

Cheers.

JP

Last edited by jpzk; 06-19-2012 at 07:35 AM.
06-18-2012, 01:45 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I did a quick search and got this as a result. Not sure any of those ideas would be effective or safe.
06-18-2012, 02:04 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Sadly, the best defense is a good offense. i.e. protect your screen before anything happens.
I just put a piece of old PalmPilot screen protector over mine and its lasted for years. Stronger and better stuff can be purchased of course.

Sadly, buffing results will vary on the scratch and your patience.

Just be VERY careful what you read on the Internet and verify if others have had success.
I've seen people recommend using solvents that utterly destroy your equipment.
I cannot understand what joy that brings since they probably never see or hear of the results, but some sick people are out there.

As far as I can tell, at least the techniques on the link above may be "relatively safe" (when compared to a solvent), and I also agree they probably not very effective as well.
06-18-2012, 03:37 PM   #4
Veteran Member

A friend uses a piece of newspaper to buff his reading glasses, I've tried it on the screen of my point & shoot and it works fairly well, but takes a while.

06-18-2012, 03:42 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Paleo Pete Quote
uses a piece of newspaper to buff his reading glasses
Not sure I will do that on my prescription glasses but I also turn wood besides spending too much money on camera stuff. On really nice turned items the last finish/buff is often a piece of paper. It is abrasive enough to work quite nicely though you can start it smoking if you are not careful. But that's spinning at 3,000 rpm so yeah it might take awhile by hand.
06-18-2012, 04:50 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I did a quick search and got this as a result. Not sure any of those ideas would be effective or safe.
Thanks Jatrax !

Those methods look quite safe, maybe except for the alcohol one !? but I will give a go at a couple ... no harm to be done.

Cheers!

JP
06-18-2012, 04:52 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by amoringello Quote
Sadly, the best defense is a good offense. i.e. protect your screen before anything happens.
I just put a piece of old PalmPilot screen protector over mine and its lasted for years. Stronger and better stuff can be purchased of course.

Sadly, buffing results will vary on the scratch and your patience.

Just be VERY careful what you read on the Internet and verify if others have had success.
I've seen people recommend using solvents that utterly destroy your equipment.
I cannot understand what joy that brings since they probably never see or hear of the results, but some sick people are out there.

As far as I can tell, at least the techniques on the link above may be "relatively safe" (when compared to a solvent), and I also agree they probably not very effective as well.
As you said: "Sadly, the best defense is a good offense. i.e. protect your screen before anything happens." which is something I have corrected with my K5 camera.

I will of course be very careful with any methods described in the link provided by Jatrax but there are at least two of them which will do no harm.

JP

06-18-2012, 04:58 PM   #8
Veteran Member

A friend of mine used a CD scratch kit on his and it worked okay. It made sense to me. I mean what is a viewing screen but probably a similar plastic to what they make CD's from? He put the liquid in the scratch I guess and then buffed it down with the buffer they give you. I can't really even tell that there's a scratch now and it doesn't seem to have affected the camera any. I guess it would depend upon how deep the scratch is. If it goes all the way through I might not try that but if it's just a surface scratch probably would work.
06-19-2012, 07:32 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
A friend of mine used a CD scratch kit on his and it worked okay. It made sense to me. I mean what is a viewing screen but probably a similar plastic to what they make CD's from? He put the liquid in the scratch I guess and then buffed it down with the buffer they give you. I can't really even tell that there's a scratch now and it doesn't seem to have affected the camera any. I guess it would depend upon how deep the scratch is. If it goes all the way through I might not try that but if it's just a surface scratch probably would work.
Thanks Mag.

There are tons of such products from what I have seen on the Web.
Do you know what it is your friend used.

JP

Last edited by jpzk; 06-19-2012 at 07:38 AM.
06-19-2012, 11:20 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Check out this thread for do-it-yourself screen replacement info:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/140200-lcd-screen-...ment-part.html
06-19-2012, 08:26 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nosliwmit Quote
Check out this thread for do-it-yourself screen replacement info:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/140200-lcd-screen-...ment-part.html
Great !!

This I could do I am sure.
I will contact Pentax regarding that.

Thanks.

JP
06-20-2012, 05:14 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Thanks Mag.

There are tons of such products from what I have seen on the Web.
Do you know what it is your friend used.

JP
It was a name brand kit, like Maxell or maybe Memorex, I think. Hang on and I'll send him an email and ask. Likely he'll answer me by the end of the day. He's good about that. I'm pretty sure it was something like this one. It was two bottles of liquid et all, like this plus a buffer of some kind.

http://www.amazon.com/Maxell-CD-ROM-Scratch-Repair-Kit/dp/B00000J1E6/ref=sr_...=cd+repair+kit

Note it was this kit he says but he used a white block nail buffer like for acrylic nails to finish it. Fine side.

Last edited by magkelly; 06-20-2012 at 07:44 PM.
06-20-2012, 10:50 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks again Mag.

I'll take a look at this link/product and looking forward to more info.

JP
06-20-2012, 05:01 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I've used Meguiar's Plast-X Clear Plastic Cleaner and Polish on a scratched digital camcorder screen with good success. It didn't polish them out absolutely perfect, but pretty close. You have to know where to look to find where it was scratched. It also works great to polish scratches out of CDs & DVDs. It's $6 for a big bottle & goes a looooooong way.

It's a white paste, similar to car polish. Just be aware that if you don't seal the crack around the screen well before you buff, it can get in the crack & show up white.

Good luck,
Bobbo :-)
06-21-2012, 08:13 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GibbyTheMole Quote
I've used Meguiar's Plast-X Clear Plastic Cleaner and Polish on a scratched digital camcorder screen with good success. It didn't polish them out absolutely perfect, but pretty close. You have to know where to look to find where it was scratched. It also works great to polish scratches out of CDs & DVDs. It's $6 for a big bottle & goes a looooooong way.

It's a white paste, similar to car polish. Just be aware that if you don't seal the crack around the screen well before you buff, it can get in the crack & show up white.

Good luck,
Bobbo :-)
Checking this out, Gibby,

Thanks