Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-19-2012, 08:00 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
Possibly an older 50mm lens according to the exif (Exif Viewer in Firefox). No aperture information, 0.7 second, ISO400, manual white balance, 50 (75) mm
based on the exif were you using a tripod? .7 seconds is well below most peoples handheld threshold for a 50mm lens, so some of the sofness likely originates there (SR is good but not that good) IF you want to guarantee razor sharp with SR than 1/125 second
the old rule of thumb applied to apsc would be 1/1.5*fl for shutter speed for acceptable sharpness and 1/4.5*fl for best sharpness. this is without SR, so allowing for 2 stops in SR 1/125 should be very sharp and 1/30 acceptable on a 50mm (you may do a little better with really good technique and steady hands but not in general)
you may have had better luck with a smaller f 5.6 or so f stop iso 1600 and a tripod

06-19-2012, 08:00 AM   #17
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
In OP they say " I use a Horusbennu 50mm 1.7 lens btw."
Sorry, missed that one, age catching up!
06-19-2012, 08:20 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by altopiet Quote
Sorry, missed that one, age catching up!
You and me both.
06-19-2012, 08:23 AM   #19
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The 5 photos I have posted in my Gallery were taken with the K-x. I have complaints regarding the K-x, but nothing with respect to its image quality, for the money an excellent entry level DSLR.

I have produced shots such as the one you have posted above, but it has little to to with the camera. I suspect that was taken on an overcast evening wide open. I've never used a HorusBennu 50mm before, but reviews suggest its soft wide open and in combination with the overcast low light you are going to get low contrast photos.

I would try the camera at shooting some nice window light in the middle of the day with your lens stopped down to f4-5.6 before passing further judgment on the K-x. If you want to shoot fast and sharp consider replacing the Horrus with an M50 f1.7.

06-19-2012, 08:24 AM   #20
Site Supporter

OK, so there is consensus on this thread I think.
06-19-2012, 08:28 AM   #21
Veteran Member

The Horusbennu provides nice IQ in my opinion... Yes, I have one, although little used...

OP's supplied shot is over-exposed... RAW with no PP ain't gonna help either... K-x is a stunning little performer though...

Suggest OP read up on metering, exposure and composition...

Frank but.... 'bad workman blames h....'
06-19-2012, 08:46 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DaveHolmes Quote
Suggest OP read up on metering, exposure and composition...

Frank but.... 'bad workman blames h....'
agreed OP should grab and read this, it will do more to improve his results than any gear will

Understanding Exposure, 3rd Edition: How to Shoot Great Photographs with Any Camera: Amazon.ca: Bryan Peterson: Books
06-19-2012, 09:15 AM   #23

Original Poster
Hi, have I forgot to mention that I've used a Canon before this Pentax and my images have never turned out dull? Is it because of the switch of systems or..

06-19-2012, 09:43 AM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter

in this case i think the consensus is poor exposure. there are loads of examples of excellent performance on the kx. Expect different colours than canon. canon has a very different (and less accurate) colour balance for one, and tends to expose a little over. some people love it some hate it. try dialing in +0.5 ev and shoot the bright colour setting in jpeg. should more closely mimic canon.

If you haven't read it I still recommend the book (heck I read it recently and I've been shooting for 30 years on almost every mainstream brand, still got takeaways and reminders
06-19-2012, 10:08 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ankletsonfire Quote
Hi, have I forgot to mention that I've used a Canon before this Pentax and my images have never turned out dull? Is it because of the switch of systems or..
Canon push his reds quite a bit but for the rest they are quite natural.
Look if the birghtness between your canon photos and that of pentax are differnt if canon is brighter then that's probably part of the solution, pentax often underexpose slightly compared to others.
06-19-2012, 10:19 AM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
pentax often underexpose slightly compared to others.
they do, however i'd rather try and pull 1/3-1/2 stop from shadows than lose the highlights. this seems to be the pentax thinking
06-19-2012, 03:39 PM   #27
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Hi, have I forgot to mention that I've used a Canon before this Pentax and my images have never turned out dull?
When you've used Canon, you shoot JPEG or RAW ?

Because RAW files are basically (like their names indicate ) raw. No traitement of the picture of any kind.

JPEG files are RAW files with treatment (to reduce size of the file, first) to enhance color rendition (saturation, brightness/dark, etc ...).

So, basically, when you edit RAW on your computer you do more or less what the body do when it process your picture in JPEG.

That's why i suggest to shoot RAW+ (info/bottom left square), so you can have both RAW, and JPEG that are ready to show and share, when you read the memory card.
(Just make sure you have a fast enought memory card. You should be able to shoot 4-5 picture in burst without slowing.)
06-19-2012, 05:02 PM   #28
Pentaxian

You are using a very old lens and shooting at a shutter speed far far too slow for hand holding. There is nothing wrong with your K-x, the issues you are having have nothing to do with Canon vs Pentax systems.

Did you get any other lenses with it, hopefully you got a kit lens (like a 18-55) and if not they are very inexpensive .I'd suggest shooting with that for a while in JPEG and see how you go. Don't use that old 50 till you have a lot more experience.

I'd also suggest letting auto-ISO do its' work (press the iso button then press the green button), the K-x is capable of producing great pictures well beyond ISO400 which you used in the shot you posted.
06-19-2012, 05:30 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Come on, you can't take a lousy picture like that and blame the camera that it isn't better. It's just a tool, after all, it can't do the photographer's work too. I'm sorry to be the one who calls things by their name, but suggesting that it could be due to a change of brands either makes you a very subtle troll, or totally ignorant. The photo that you posted as a proof is wrong on so many levels. It's nice of the others to be helpful and guide you, but I still suspect you're a troll.
Now that I've introduced myself, let me explain what drew me to that conclusion, and try to say something positive, just in case you're not a troll, after all. You see, photography is about capturing light, and therefore the quality of light is very important, much more than the camera or lens used. Digital cameras have a rather limited dynamic range (detail they can capture ranging from the brightest to the darkest spot), and the scene you were trying to capture was apparently very contrasty (had some bright lights and some very dark areas). The camera just took an average exposure, which mathematically is correct, but as you see, looks crappy. Mixed lighting (tungsten with natural light) is also awful and should be avoided by all means. So this scene simply wasn't meant to make a good picture. Regarding your other issue with lack of contrast, yes, you don't have quite the best lens, but no one has, and assuming the light in the pictures is ok to start with, bumping the contrast up in your favorite raw editing software should do the trick.
By the way, sorry for the first part, just thought it was funny.
06-19-2012, 05:35 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
they do, however i'd rather try and pull 1/3-1/2 stop from shadows than lose the highlights. this seems to be the pentax thinking
They also adjust the range on the sensor to that, pentax photos clip sooner in the highlights but the go deeper into the shadow details.