Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-19-2012, 07:16 AM   #1

Lost pictures on Pentax kx

Hi all,

New to the site, and need some help. Used my camera above over this weekend, and shot what i would say well over 200 photographs. After clicking away happily, i thought i'd sit down and go back over what i'd taken only to find some pictures had saved and other hadn't. I realised this further when i got home to put them on my pc, as it said i only had 146 pictures. There was one 20-25 session of pictures i took & none of them has saved, but some i took after did. Seems the camera has a mind of it's own. Does anyone know why this has happened. It's been absolutely fine up until this weekend.

Oh, and before i went i cleared the memory card of all previous images to make sure i had maximum room.

Thanks

Dean

06-19-2012, 07:41 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by deano749 Quote
Oh, and before i went i cleared the memory card of all previous images to make sure i had maximum room.
Did you format the card in the camera for that, did you delete in camera or did you delete on the computer. In the latter case the earlier deleted images might be in the 'dustbin' on the card.

It however does not quite (or not at all) explain why your camera wrote some to the card and not others.
06-19-2012, 08:23 AM   #3

Original Poster
Hi,

I deleted all images using the camera before i started to use it. I can't put my finger on why it saved some and not the others. I'll have another play around with it to see i can find them, but i'm not holding much hope.
06-19-2012, 08:26 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Before doing anything else at all to that card, I'd run a file recovery program like Recuva. There's a chance that the missing files are still present and recoverable.

The most common reason that I've seen for this kind of failure to store pics is a failing SD card. If a reformat of the card doesn't cure it, just replace it.

06-19-2012, 08:41 AM   #5
Site Supporter

What firmware are you running on your K-x? I was finding that pics weren't saving to some of the faster cards until I updated my firmware to 1.03
06-19-2012, 11:21 AM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by Philoslothical Quote
Before doing anything else at all to that card, I'd run a file recovery program like Recuva. There's a chance that the missing files are still present and recoverable.

The most common reason that I've seen for this kind of failure to store pics is a failing SD card. If a reformat of the card doesn't cure it, just replace it.
I have used this program before and its excellent at recovering deleted files.
06-20-2012, 04:07 AM   #7
Veteran Member

There is a difference between deleted files and files that were never written. But I agree that deano749 can give it a try.
06-20-2012, 04:25 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
There is a difference between deleted files and files that were never written. But I agree that deano749 can give it a try.
I agree. If they weren't written, no amount of sorcery could help. But, if they were written with bad MFT entries, or something like that, which just prevents the files from showing, it could help. It's grasping at straws, but it can't hurt anything to try.

06-21-2012, 10:04 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The two main causes of what you describe would be a bad SD card or turning off the camera before it finishes writing.