Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-19-2012, 07:38 AM   #1

How fast of an SD card is fast enough?

Hi Everyone,
I am sure this question has been answered may times over, but I was just wondering if anyone can give me a quick answer. I have a K2000 camera and am going to purchase a new SD card for it. My question is, since the K2000 is a few years old, will buying a class 10 card be a waste of $ because the K2000 can only write so fast? Will a Class 6 be fast enough? Or can my K2000 take advantage of the faster speed of the class 10?
Thank you very much for your input!
-SL

06-19-2012, 07:49 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by SammyLeopold Quote
Hi Everyone,
I am sure this question has been answered may times over, but I was just wondering if anyone can give me a quick answer. I have a K2000 camera and am going to purchase a new SD card for it. My question is, since the K2000 is a few years old, will buying a class 10 card be a waste of $ because the K2000 can only write so fast? Will a Class 6 be fast enough? Or can my K2000 take advantage of the faster speed of the class 10?
-SL
I doubt you will notice any difference in camera, more than the camera speed difference, I would say that the biggest advantage between a class 6 and a class 10 will be when you are downloading your images off the card to the PC with a good card reader.
06-19-2012, 07:51 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Class10 will remain useful for your next camera...
06-19-2012, 07:54 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I used SanDisk class 4 cards for years with my K-x, even shot video with them.

06-19-2012, 08:15 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Class10 will remain useful for your next camera...
Agree, some view memory cards as almost disposable and thus buy the cheapest available. I have even read of people only using the cards once and then keeping them as archival storage for the images, just like a roll of film. I prefer the other direction and have bought all 45mb/s class 10 plus cards. It makes me feel more confident that the cards will have fewer failures. That may be just wishful thinking but I am happier.

As noted above your k2000 likely will not see any difference, but a new camera in the future most likely will. And I feel that class 6 cards are now relegated to the budget category and may not be as reliable as class 10 cards.
06-19-2012, 08:18 AM   #6
Pentaxian

When one can get a class 10 32gb card for $30 I personally think its a no brainer.

They aren't much more than class 4 and are faster on the download to the computer. Plus if you upgrade your camera you will be able yo feel the speed right away.

I get my memory from www.memory express.com and I usually grab the red colored patriot cards
06-19-2012, 08:30 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I have only bought a few cards -- I get the "extreme" temperature-proof shock-proof kind and have never had a hint of a problem.
06-19-2012, 08:30 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Mine are class 6 on my K-x... No problem at all...

06-19-2012, 11:40 AM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
When one can get a class 10 32gb card for $30 I personally think its a no brainer.

They aren't much more than class 4 and are faster on the download to the computer. Plus if you upgrade your camera you will be able yo feel the speed right away.

I get my memory from www.memory express.com and I usually grab the red colored patriot cards
Couldn't agree more the price difference isn't much and you're preparing for the future!! I personally noticed a difference when switching from a class 6 to a class 10 on my k5 when i shoot video. Much faster!
06-19-2012, 12:22 PM   #10

Original Poster
Thanks for your input everyone, it is greatly appreciated and very welcoming of all of you. I agree with all of you about going up to the class 10, can't hurt and isn't much more expensive at all, really just one skipped trip to Starbucks! Besides, I find myself shooting in burst mode a lot so it's probably not a bad idea. Thanks again!
-SL
06-20-2012, 10:56 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SammyLeopold Quote
Hi Everyone,
-SL
I pay no attention to the speed of memory cards, as I do not shoot video or machine gun raw images. for me, any speed is sufficient as I never fill the buffer let alone shoot at the maximum frame rate of any of my cameras (including the K5)

since the K2000 does not do video, unless you shoot at an insane frame rate, I doubt you would notice anything
06-26-2012, 08:22 AM   #12
Pentaxian

I use Sandisk and PNY class 4 SDHC cards without any issues. They are very inexpensive. Under $10 for 8GB cards at Staples recently. Shooting a burst in RAW might take a second or 2 to write but I have never missed any shots. If you shoot JPEG's, I think you are wasting your money with class 10. My old original SD cards are rather slow and I no longer use them. If you're shooting video then the faster cards might be worth the extra money. I don't shoot video so I can't comment although the one time I did, just to see how it worked, my class 4 card worked fine. They upload fairly quick. Your computer and the program you are importing to also affect upload time.
06-26-2012, 02:24 PM   #13
Emperor and Senpai

With how cheap class 10 cards are I'd go class 10. My Kx said somewhere in the manual it recommended a minimum of a class 6, and I am not sure what my K5 says, but I'm using the Sandisk class 10 45mb/s ones because I want those pictures OFF of the card and onto my computer as fast as possible.