Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-21-2012, 07:01 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Picture modes

Hi guys!!! I just bought my Pentax K5 yesterday to replace my Nikon D3100. I have a lot to learn about this new camera but I will get there. I am trying to find out

how I can access the exposure modes (Picture modes: AutoPicture, Portrait, Landscape, Macro, Moving Object, Night scene portrait, Flash off

Scene modes: Night scene, Surf & Snow, Food, Sunset, Kids, Pet, Candlelight, Museum, Stagelight, Night snap). I rarely use these features but I would like to

know how I can access them, for example the Moving subject. Thanks to everyone!!!

06-21-2012, 07:30 AM   #2
Veteran Member

The K-5 doesn't have the scene modes. It has a green auto mode, that's the closest thing.

If you feel up for it, you can construct your own scene modes using the User settings.
Here are a couple of suggestions:

Sports : P mode, auto iso, AF-C, high drive mode, Action program line, Bright custom image.
Portrait: P mode, auto iso, AF-S, portrait program line, portrait custom image.
Landscape: P mode, auto iso, AF-S, landscape program line, landscape custom image.

Those three will give you the most useful ones from the K-x and K-r.

Regards,
--Anders.
06-21-2012, 09:52 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by asp1880 Quote
If you feel up for it, you can construct your own scene modes using the User settings. Here are a couple of suggestions:
Good info.

The k-5 is a very capable camera, but it lacks a lot of the 'handholding' stuff of introductory level cameras. Which is fine as it is not intended for that market. But you do have to learn photography to get the best out of it. The USER modes are one of the nicest features IMHO, and often overlooked.
06-21-2012, 10:01 AM   #4
Veteran Member

K5 is meant for advance users so to not clutter the menu there are no scene modes.
The Kr has them, not sure about the K30 but there is a good chance it will have them as well, i know im suggesting other cameras now but in all honesty DSLR are not meant to be used with scene modes. If you don't want to concern yourself with photography it's better you buy a good compact or bridge camera, the images they make are very very good as well but more importantly the auto modes work so much better with those.

06-21-2012, 10:45 AM   #5

Original Poster
Hi guys. Thank you very much for your help. Since I posted this I have been playing with the camera and discovered many amazing things that this camera is capable of. I don't regret

buying this little piece instead of Nikon D7000 or replacing my D3100 as it was getting boring to use. However I think that the manual which comes with the camera isn't straight

forward. Actually is a bit confusing. Does anyone Know where I can buy a guide book for the K-5. It can be paper-book or eBook
06-21-2012, 10:58 AM   #6
Veteran Member

E Book: K-5 ebook, available for all media, including iPhones, ipads, and tablets. - AlettA Photographic

No printed guide book for K5 but the older K7 is quite similar to the K5 and has a printed guide: Amazon.com: Magic Lantern Guides: Pentax K-7 (9781600596223): Peter K. Burian: Books

I have not found any need for guides like these though. The K5 manual is not exciting but if you spend some time with it, it is more than enough. I would rather spend money on a good book explaining the basics of shooting with a dslr:
Amazon.com: Understanding Exposure, 3rd Edition: How to Shoot Great Photographs with Any Camera (9780817439392): Bryan Peterson: Books
06-21-2012, 12:32 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mostly I use the TAv mode on the K-5. For the most part I can adjust the aperture and shutter speed to compensate for most situations. I suppose if you shot a lot indoors under odd lighting you would benefit from a user mode to compensate.

I have set up a user mode for fast shooting, with most processing off, continuous drive, center focus, mid-aperture and fast shutter to start, etc. I need to set up a user mode for tripod fixed shots as well, so I can have the timer, Av, flash control etc. without having to change everything back again afterward.

I did buy the Magic Lantern K-7 book and found it very useful after I upgraded from K-10 to K-5.

06-22-2012, 07:19 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I hear ya, Gino.
I rented the Sigma 28mm f1.8 (the DA 35 macro was late returning). I didn't think I'd use the lens wide-open, but wound up doing just that indoors in ambient darkish hotel suites and was amazed how well the images turned out. I still shot TAv to keep shutter speed above 1/45 sec, but I may become a wide aperture convert...
06-22-2012, 11:08 AM   #9
Veteran Member

there is also a program line which can be set to speed, alot of depth, shallow depth and 2 more modes i believe.