Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-21-2012, 10:54 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Guide book easier to read and understand

Hi guys. Thank you very much for your help. Since I posted this I have been playing with the camera and discovered many amazing things that this camera is capable of. I don't regret

buying this little piece instead of Nikon D7000 or replacing my D3100 as it was getting boring to use. However I think that the manual which comes with the camera isn't straight

forward. Actually it is a bit confusing. Does anyone Know where I can buy a guide book for the K-5. It can be paper-book or eBook

06-21-2012, 11:14 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There is no Magic Lantern book for the k-5. I think the last they published for Pentax was the k-10d.

There is an e-book for the k-5 located here but I have no idea if it is any good, just found it with a google search. Are looking for how the camera controls work or what they do? I have no idea what your photography skills but a good basic book is Bryan Peterson's "Understanding Exposure". There are many others of course but if you are trying to learn how to operate a camera rather than use the 'training wheels' of the picture modes, a good foundation in basic photographic principals is needed.
06-21-2012, 11:45 AM   #3

This helped me understand the modes a little better than the manual. (Continue past the ad)
06-21-2012, 11:48 AM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Yvon Bourque writes guides for Pentax cameras that I've always found helpful as well and you can't beat the price. Check it out here.

PENTAX DSLRs

06-21-2012, 12:28 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

The Magic Lantern book for the K-7 has been quite helpful for me (its controls are the same or very similar to the K-5). I moved from K-10 to K-5, and there's a big difference in controls and capabilities. Still, there are things it does not cover for which you'll need to consult the manual. You'll know those once you figure out something you can't do...

the Borque book is supposed to be very good, though.
06-21-2012, 12:38 PM   #6
MJL
Site Supporter

K5 book by Yvon Bourque

Just don't buy the K5 e-book by Yvon Bourque. It is a total rip off.
06-21-2012, 12:41 PM   #7
Pentaxian

The K-7 Magic Lantern will get you through the basics as long as you keep in mind the differences -- ISO range, some new menu options, etc. But the controls are all the same, metering and exposure modes more or less the same, etc
06-21-2012, 12:44 PM   #8
Site Supporter

I have used Yvon Borque's K5 E book for some time, and IMHO it is NOT a rip off, but a great aid to the photographer. I highly recommend it to you.

http://pentaxdslrs.blogspot.com.au/2010/12/download-free-sample-of-pentax-k-5-e.html

06-22-2012, 06:46 AM   #9
Pentaxian

what I would love, and thought about writing at some point was a guide to exactly what each setting achieved, and how to make those settings correct for the situation.

There are a ton of adjustments, but as you say, the manuals don't really tell you the whole story. I'll give you an example, and this (as most issues with camera settings, impact JPEG rendering and not RAW)

contrast the manual says something like "Sets the image from +4 to -4" in the K 5 manual, but really what do +4 and -4 mean? what does it really do, etc.

I did a test, with my *istD when I first got it, where I did a series of shots from about -7 to +7 stops using a lens at every aperture from wide open to stopped down (starting at a shutter speed that gave correct (centered histogram with a uniformly lit uniform surface) to explore the lower half of the histogram, and then repeated this for Minimum aperture to wide open to explore the upper half of the histogram.

What I found was that with contrast set to neutral, I had one behavior, with about 9 1/2 stops between 0 and 255 on the histogram, this reduced to about 81/2 stops at max contrast and 10 1/2 stops at minimum contrast.

more important, was the behavior between about 25 and 225 on the histogram, where at neutral contrast, each stop was approximately 45 greyscale, but at minimum contrast it was 40 and at maximum it was at 50.

so you can easily see that in the middle 80% of the histogram, where there is good detail, yo can have 41/2 stops at max contrast and 5 1/2 stops at minimum.

No where in the manual is this type of information available.

and just wait until you start looking at things like sharpness, highlight and shadow protect etc.
06-22-2012, 10:43 AM   #10

I totally agree that the Pentax manual is not user friendly.

IMHO, it is most unfortunate that no Magic Lantern book has been written for the K5, especially given how easy it would be to update the one written for the K7. As pointed out by vonBaloney, the K7 Magic Latern is quite compatible since the K5 and K7 share many functions. Still, even though I've had my K5 for nearly 2 years, I would buy a K5 specific Magic Lantern book in a heart beat.

As for the the Yvon Borque K5 E book, I have mixed emotions. It is handy (being in E-book format), but only if you use it on a computer lap top or tablet. Because it is password protected, it will not load on my Nook, and you will have similar problems with some phones and the Kindle. Also, it is loaded with typos, which drives me crazy since one of my jobs used to be proof reading. Still, calling it rip off is uncalled for, especially since you can download and look at a sample before buying.
06-22-2012, 11:53 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
I totally agree that the Pentax manual is not user friendly.

IMHO, it is most unfortunate that no Magic Lantern book has been written for the K5, especially given how easy it would be to update the one written for the K7. As pointed out by vonBaloney, the K7 Magic Latern is quite compatible since the K5 and K7 share many functions. Still, even though I've had my K5 for nearly 2 years, I would buy a K5 specific Magic Lantern book in a heart beat.

As for the the Yvon Borque K5 E book, I have mixed emotions. It is handy (being in E-book format), but only if you use it on a computer lap top or tablet. Because it is password protected, it will not load on my Nook, and you will have similar problems with some phones and the Kindle. Also, it is loaded with typos, which drives me crazy since one of my jobs used to be proof reading. Still, calling it rip off is uncalled for, especially since you can download and look at a sample before buying.
I have the Yvon Borque guide for my K10D and it loads quite easily on my Ipod, using a PDF reader. I use Aja PDF Annotate for my Ipad and Aja PDF reader for my Ipod.

I don';t see why you can't get a password protected file read on any tablet, although I have not much experience ourside of the apple products I have
06-23-2012, 05:05 AM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I have the Yvon Borque guide for my K10D and it loads quite easily on my Ipod, using a PDF reader. I use Aja PDF Annotate for my Ipad and Aja PDF reader for my Ipod.

I don';t see why you can't get a password protected file read on any tablet, although I have not much experience ourside of the apple products I have
So far, the reader for Nook does not have a function to provide the password to open the file. Same thing for the ones I've tried on my Droids. So when you click to load the file, either nothing happen or, the device goes off into never-never land.
06-25-2012, 12:53 PM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by Bramela Quote
I have used Yvon Borque's K5 E book for some time, and IMHO it is NOT a rip off, but a great aid to the photographer. I highly recommend it to you.

PENTAX DSLRs: Download a free sample of the Pentax K-5 e-book before you purchase.
I've just bought the one for the k-x and I think it's far better than the manual. I've put it on my phone (HTC Desire HD) and can open it with no problems there too, using Adobe Reader for android.