Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-22-2012, 09:15 PM   #1

Super Program + smc-m 28mm = STUCK?

Hi ya'll. totally bummed out. I just stuck my newly bought smc-m 28mm f2.8 onto my old Pentax Super Program...and now its stuck. It just can't rotate the lens around enough to clear and come out.
anything I can do myself? or will I be sending it out and paying more to dislodge this than what I paid for it all.

sad in nyc.

06-23-2012, 04:54 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hi, could you please describe the problem a little more detailed? This definitely shouldn't happen. What is your experience with the camera? You are holding the lens release button, aren't you? Was the mount of the lens/camera damaged before fitting?
06-23-2012, 07:02 AM   #3

Original Poster
hi and thank you for your reply.
the lens is an smc-m 28mm f2.8 It fit fine on my K2 body. I tried it on my super program body but it got jammed. when I press the lens removal button, the lens twists as it should, but not far enough to release the lens. Im sure if it could go just a little more it would come off.
06-23-2012, 07:32 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I think there's nothing to get stuck. It should get off the same way it got on.

06-23-2012, 11:21 AM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kcobain1992 Quote
I think there's nothing to get stuck. It should get off the same way it got on.
What he said...except that it is possible that the aperture "follower" on either lens or camera has been damaged at some point and has slipped past its mate. If so, this is a sad day indeed.

Steve
06-23-2012, 11:23 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Didn't think of that. You can try to open the back and the shutter (keep it on bulb), and stick your finger through, or get a light in, so you can see what's the problem. You might need another person, I'm not sure there's enough hands to keep the camera on bulb, hold a light, press the lens release button, twist the lens AND fiddle with the levers.
06-26-2012, 07:21 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You might need another person, I'm not sure there's enough hands to keep the camera on bulb, hold a light, press the lens release button, twist the lens AND fiddle with the levers.
Not familiar with the camera, but a cable release that can lock might do the trick (as an alternative to another person).

12-07-2012, 09:24 AM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
What he said...except that it is possible that the aperture "follower" on either lens or camera has been damaged at some point and has slipped past its mate. If so, this is a sad day indeed.
Hi. I've got the exact same problem with my Pentax Super A and a Pentax-A 50mm 1.4.
I think the camera's aperture follower was damaged when using a M42 adapter.
I tried to remove the lens with a bit of force and tried to get to the lens from the back of the camera using a cable release. I failed.
Looks like the only chance to save the lens is to disassemble the camera from the back. Is there any way to do this without breaking it? The service manual did not really help. Any experiences anyone?

(I just registered when I found this thread after desperately trying to free the lens)
12-07-2012, 04:23 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Oh, that's not good, I suppose. You'd rather disassemble the lens than the camera. Remove the focus ring and optical part, then you have access to the aperture mechanism, which you can disengage. Pretty straightforward, but complicated if you have no tools and experience. So I'd recommend selling it to someone who can make something out of it, instead of breaking it. Sorry.
12-07-2012, 05:40 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
very simple question : does the batteries in the Super A have some power left ? Without power the shutter / mirror mecanism stop on the way. Maybe the mirror is what is preventing you to turn the lens ?
12-08-2012, 03:23 AM   #11

Oh, that's not good, I suppose. You'd rather disassemble the lens than the camera. Remove the focus ring and optical part, then you have access to the aperture mechanism, which you can disengage. Pretty straightforward, but complicated if you have no tools and experience. So I'd recommend selling it to someone who can make something out of it, instead of breaking it. Sorry.
That's bad news. I'm not sure if I will risk taking the lens apart. Are you sure you can get to the lens mount from the front of the lens? Don't you think that disassembling the camera is an option? (Sorry for asking again, but I really like this lens and I'd prefer not selling it. Maybe I can find someone to fix it for me.)

QuoteOriginally posted by aurele Quote
very simple question : does the batteries in the Super A have some power left ? Without power the shutter / mirror mecanism stop on the way. Maybe the mirror is what is preventing you to turn the lens ?
The mirror mechanism works fine and does not cause the problem. I'm 99% sure that it's the problem described by Steve. Thanks for the tip anyway.
12-08-2012, 08:49 AM   #12
Inactive Account

Open the camera back cover, put the mode dial on B and keep the sutter release pressed. Might be possible to see what is the problem trough the opened shutter.
12-08-2012, 09:07 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Can you make a video describing exactly the problem?
12-08-2012, 09:09 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I don't have that camera but on some here, it is possible to see the body lever over on the left side looking in. Hold the camera so you look in on the right side.
Click the lens to its correct position, and rotate the aperture ring. The lever should move smoothy up and down over the full range, driven by the lens lever which is not visible.
If the camera has a stop down button you can see the stop down lever moving too, on the right side, looking in from an angle to the left.

edit, put camera in b mode and hold the shutter open under a desk lamp etc to do the above
12-08-2012, 09:54 AM   #15

@pegassuss
I already tried that. I could not see much but the rear element of the lens. And I don't think I can free the lens that way.

@wombat2go
Works as it should. Only the DOF-Preview Button does not work. I guess that's how it should be during the exposure. The Aperture lever is all the way up and does not move.

The problem is a different one, I guess. I added some pictures to show what I mean.

Picture 1:
That's how far I can unscrew the lens (note the yellow plastic ball). If I stop down (turn the aperture ring) I can't unscrew the lens that far.

Picture 2 (different camera):
That's the part that causes all the trouble I guess. The arrow indicates the way it should move when the lens is attached.

Picture 3 (different lens):
That's the counterpart on the lens. I think it slipped past the part seen in picture 2.
Attached Images

Last edited by rtxy; 12-08-2012 at 10:03 AM. Reason: Fixed description