Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
06-26-2012, 03:14 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Using Nikon Lens on a Pentax K-5

Are there any adapters available to allow use of Nikon lens on a Pentax k-5.

I currently have a Nikon D5100. Because the price of the price drop of the Pentax K-5, I would love to pick one up.
I just ordered a Sigma 50-500mm Lens (Bigma) for my Nikon and it would be nice if I can use it on a Pentax.

I want an adapter that will allow me to AutoFocus and control the aperature. Does such an adapter exist?

Any image degradation when using an adapter?

Thanks,
Gary

06-26-2012, 03:26 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hi Gary and welcome to the Forums.

If you search here, you'll find more answers, but there's no adapter I know of that will do all you want. A Nikon lens will fit in the Pentax K-mount, but it won't lock and you won't get the AF and AE functions. Secure adapters exist, but they introduce a glass element that will degrade the image to some extent.

Rob
06-26-2012, 03:28 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Pre-AI manual focus lenses will force fit without modification. AI manual focus lenses will force fit after some modification. Auto Focus lenses will not fit at all without an optically corrected adapter. The adapter acts like a short teleconverter (~1.25x) and will turn the lens into a fully manual lens that acts like a M42 lens.
06-26-2012, 05:53 PM   #4
Veteran Member

As of today, there is NO adapter that allows autofocus and aperture control.

06-26-2012, 06:03 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well actually there is one - but the lens becomes manual. What is working for you is that the Nikon registration distance is longer than the registration distance for Pentax, thus there is room for an adapter, however with this one you also get a 1.4x magnification factor. This appears to be the best you may be able to do....

06-26-2012, 07:03 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I'd really like to mount my Pentax glass on my D800E. I've seen glassless adapters on eBay buy they appear quite thick.. one almost needs the two mounts to coexist in the same space for get to infinity... I was thinking of hacking up a Nikon body cap and adding a K-Mount (camera side) to see what I could get out of things.