Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-28-2012, 11:32 AM   #1

Pentax Kr shutter problem

Hi everyone,

I've been reading this forum since (and even before) I bought my Pentax Kr 5-6 months ago, and I have to say that I really enjoy advices etc. given by people here.

I didn't think I should come here and ask for a technical problem with the baby

I was using my Kr when suddenly the "Live view" became mad. Black screen, saying that my subject was really under-exposed.
But since it happened, I can't use my Kr anymore. I think the shutter is completly out of sync. When I press the shutter button, it closes it, shoot and then open it -> black photo.
If I let the battery out of the camera for a few minutes and replace it, I can take photos in DSLR mode, but if I turn on Live View the shutter closes.
If I let the battery out etc. but when I turn the camera on I enable LV, I can take one photo then the shutter remains closed. I tryied a lot of things, like clean lens option and it closes the shutter instead of opening it and after a few seconds it starts bleeping like when I use the 2s delay. Changed lens, same problem. I've done a reset too.

Does someone have a solution ? I'd like not to have to send it back because my goal was to use it this summer (astrophotos...) and as I purchased on the web I can't bring it to the store.

Thanks a lot in advance,

CK10

06-28-2012, 01:16 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm not entirely sure of your problem, however when using LV:
  • The mirror will flip up
  • The shutter will initially open
  • The shutter will close open close open when photo is taken
The reason being that LV is using the sensor.

Why you getting black images, I'm not sure. What settings are you using at the time (program mode, etc)?
06-28-2012, 01:29 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kiwi_jono Quote
I'm not entirely sure of your problem, however when using LV:
  • The mirror will flip up
  • The shutter will initially open
  • The shutter will close open close open when photo is taken
The reason being that LV is using the sensor.

Why you getting black images, I'm not sure. What settings are you using at the time (program mode, etc)?
Hi,
Thanks for trying to solve my problem. I was in manual mode. Since my pb I tried few other modes : nothing works.
If I turn off the camera for a few minutes, I can take photos until I turn LV on. The shutters closes and if I turn on autofocus it's a big noisy mess.
06-28-2012, 02:45 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Sounds like it's time to invoke the warranty, sorry to say. This doesn't sound like an issue you can fix yourself.

06-29-2012, 05:20 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Can you get to the menu? Before shipping the camera in it would be worthwhile to use the reset function to switch everything back to factory defaults and see what happens - it would happen anyway in the shop, so you have nothing to lose.
06-29-2012, 05:31 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
Can you get to the menu? Before shipping the camera in it would be worthwhile to use the reset function to switch everything back to factory defaults and see what happens - it would happen anyway in the shop, so you have nothing to lose.
As I said in my first message I did try to reset the camera. I even tried a firmware update. Nothing Works, if I turn lv on, it takes black photos. If it was the only pb I would use it as an old dslr but I can't make movies anymore
06-29-2012, 09:26 AM   #7
Veteran Member

You might get a better idea of exactly what it's doing if you fire it up with no lens attached, and look into the mount as you turn LV on, and as you take a picture in LV. If the shutter is failing to open for the shot, you should be able to see it.

At the least, it might help you explain the problem better when you contact Pentax.
06-29-2012, 12:03 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Philoslothical Quote
You might get a better idea of exactly what it's doing if you fire it up with no lens attached, and look into the mount as you turn LV on, and as you take a picture in LV. If the shutter is failing to open for the shot, you should be able to see it.

At the least, it might help you explain the problem better when you contact Pentax.
You can find a video of the problem here :
I shoot, each times, once or twice, and then I turn on LV. The camera becomes like "blind". In the first part of the video the shoot time is almost 2". The shutter remain closed in LV mode.

Does the video helps to understand the problem ?

Thank you

06-29-2012, 03:28 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It sounds like the problem begins with LV so if you can, simply don't use LV. It's not much of a solution but if you can't send the camera off for repairs for some reason, just not using LV might let you keep taking photos until it can be repaired. Two suggestions before you send it off. First, remove the battery from the camera. With the battery removed hold down the shutter release button for 120 seconds. Reinstall the battery and see if that corrects the problem. Second, if you have a AA battery adapter see if the problem remains with AA batteries. I have an awful "mirror flop" problem with my K-r but because of an upcoming event I want to photgraph, I don't want to immediately sent it off to Pentax. Since I started using the AA battery adapter I've had no problems with the camera. Good luck!
06-30-2012, 01:03 AM   #10

Original Poster
Hi, thanks for your reply.
I tried to hold down the shutter button and install the battery (with camera turned on) but it doesn't change anything. It takes a photo, and if I turn LV on picture is replaced with black and if I turn off LV it takes black photos as well.
I tried the battery trick in video mode in order to see if it could help if I install the battery with LV turned on. Nothing happens.
And unfortunately I don't have AA adapter.

I thought that I could take photos without LV that isn't a major problem, but I'm supposed to use the video mode for a movie (not for me) that's annoying...

Thank for trying to help !

Last edited by ck10; 06-30-2012 at 05:09 AM.
07-24-2012, 04:09 PM   #11
Inactive Account

I had the same problem with my new K-r. You must clean the contacts on the lens and camera. There is a youtube video on how to clean your lens contacts. Cured my problem.