Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-29-2012, 07:12 AM   #1

New User with question

I'm an archivist who frequently prints digital files. Usually I print from tiff files, but sometimes I print from jpgs. Sometimes certain colors are reversed when I print from a jpg--skin tones become blue and blue colors come out orange on the print. What causes this distortion? How can I avoid it?

Attached Images

06-29-2012, 07:20 AM   #2
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It looks like the yellow channel is completely non-existent.

EDIT: It appears the number 40 on the banner on the podium is in yellow. So much for that theory.

Have you checked your printer settings to make sure it doesn't think you're printing from a negative?
06-29-2012, 08:29 AM   #3

Original Poster
blue people theory

No, the printer was not set for printing negatives. I was printing tiffs and jpgs with the same printer settings. Both of the tiffs printed correctly, but 3 out of 4 of the jpegs came out with the blue skin tones.
06-29-2012, 08:43 AM   #4
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Were all 4 jpegs using the same color profile?

06-29-2012, 08:46 AM   #5

Original Poster
jpg color profile

What is a jpg color profile? How does one set it? All the images were scanned from prints using a Fujitsu scanner set to 24-bit color.
06-29-2012, 09:41 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
wow smurfs really do exist...sorry bad joke

what order were these printed...i.e if you printed the jpgs after the tiffs did your ink possibly get clogged...can you run a test to check if all the ink wells are working...if the jpegs were printed after the tiff try printing the tiff again and see if it is still good
06-29-2012, 11:26 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jean021 Quote
Sometimes certain colors are reversed when I print from a jpg--skin tones become blue and blue colors come out orange on the print. What causes this distortion? How can I avoid it?
Print from TIFFs or use a different program to print from. That's not clogged print heads or missing ink. Human skin should never have that much blue in it.

My guess is that there is something in the output controls of your software (that you are not aware of) which is imitating reversal film on output even if the image looks correct on screen. If you are printing direct from your scanning software - don't! They have notoriously bad color management for printing.