Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-29-2012, 07:45 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
LENS HELP: Auto Focus & A-Setting of Aperture Doesn't Function

Hello fellow Pentaxians..!

Anyone knows how to troubleshoot a lens problem?
Here's the problem:
I have a Tokina 28-70mm f2.6-2.8 at-x pro lens, it was working perfectly on all of my Pentax DSLRs. One day, I got caught in a strong rain, and the lens got some rain water, but I'm not sure that the lens was got really soaked because I protected it with cloth and with some plastic.
So, after two days, suddenly the lens' auto focus and the A-setting of aperture doesn't work. I know that it's not a camera error because my other auto focus lenses works perfectly on my Pentax K-7. Anyway, If I install the Tokina 28-70mm on the camera, switch it on, then the focal length selector appears as if I were installing a full manual lens. It seamed that the lens' contacts/electronics got a problem. I tried to dry the lens' aperture ring for days (even used a hair dryer then pointed it at the aperture ring area) because I thought it might had a soaked parts inside, but still the AF and A-setting of aperture doesn't work. Good thing that I can still use the lens but in full manual control, manual focus and manual aperture using the aperture ring...
Anyone had an experience with this kind of problem and solved it?
I'm thinking to ship the lens for repair, but before doing that, I'm thinking that it might be a solvable problem with DIY or has some simple solutions for it...

Thank you in advance!
Richard B.

Last edited by richard balonglong; 06-29-2012 at 08:02 AM.
06-29-2012, 08:38 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
you might have a shorted circuit board, in which case you're pretty much out of luck. good luck with the lens, hopefully its some other ailment
08-17-2012, 11:04 AM   #3

RC-1

I'm sorry about your lens. I hope that by now you have solved the problem, but I'm guessing that it needs a trip to the repairman. BTW, is the RC-1 that you had advertised sold? If not please send me a PM.
08-17-2012, 11:08 AM   #4

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would give the contacts a good clean

08-17-2012, 11:56 AM   #5
Giveaway winner!

Photos: Albums
Did you pack the lens in Silica gel packs or if not handy, bag of rice? Deeper in is a challenge to dry out. Rice, for example, cured my tv remote of the horrible soaking it received... tall glass of water for over an hour. Later when I had time, I took it apart to see how well the rice worked and it seemed to have pull water out even from between the membrane and contact board... worth trying if you have some time. A bag of rice twice the volume of the lens should be enough. If Silica gel, about 1/4 the volume is more than enough. Seal it in a bag. Good luck?