Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-29-2012, 02:34 PM   #1

Exchange Student deciding on first camera

Hello Everyone!

My name is David and I will be leaving for Sweden as an exchange student on the very last days of July. I will be going to Ringling College of Art and Design for college, and I will be studying Advertising and Photography.

I have a few problems:

1: I need to decide on a camera, which I will be buying with my graduation money this coming month.

2: I have narrowed it down to: Pentax K-30, Pentax K-01, Canon T4i, or something BETTER for around $1000

3: I really would like to be able to touch all of these cameras before I buy them. I live in Orlando FL, and would anyone know a good way to come into contact with the Pentaxs. (Canon is easy)

I would love to hear all that you have to say.

Thank You

06-29-2012, 02:39 PM   #2
Pentaxian

I think you should ask people in Sweden, the area you will be going to, as what brand of camera most available and easiest to get accessories/services there.
06-29-2012, 03:20 PM   #3
Site Supporter

I would say the K-30 out of that list or if you want something a bit more robust and slightly higher quality I would get a K-5 which are going for something like ~$800+ these days.

The Pentax cameras will give you built in anti shake for all lenses, they have built in focus motors to be able to use any AF lens, ability to use Pentax (and other) lenses from way back out of the box, also a great series of high quality compact prime lenses.

Generally the Pentax cameras come fully featured and higher spec in many ways than the competitors who have more camera tiers and thus hold back features to get you to upgrade. They also tend to feel higher quality and have better ergonomics. That said if fast moving sports or video are very important to you the Canon might be a better option (better AF and video, though we dont know about the K-30 video yet)

Definitely go play with a couple in the hand. Not sure where you can find Pentax in Orlando, im sure there are some retailers. The K-30 isnt out yet but you can try a K-5.

I personally wouldnt bother with the K-01, the others will give you more room to grow.

I did an exchange back in the day, must be exciting!

Last edited by Deimos; 06-29-2012 at 03:32 PM.
06-29-2012, 03:25 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Answer me these questions three:

1. Do you want to use the camera primarily for video?

If yes, get the T4i. Simple as that. Tilting touch screen, cheap 50/1.8 and far superior support for video.

If not, I'd go for a Pentax personally. Read on.

2. Do you plan on carrying this camera in harsh environments?

If yes, don't go for the K-01. Go for the K30 or...

3. Ever considered a K-5?

The K-5 has a better battery, better build and more external controls than the K30 but the video control is limited and the AF is apparently worse. If you;re interested in using MF lenses then the k30 will be much better, as it has focus peaking. For that matter, so does the K-01. The K-5 is the most hardy of the three (K-5, K30 and K-01), the K-30 the best for photographic use and the K-01 the only option if you prefer a non-SLR design with K-mount lenses (made by Pentax anyway).

PERSONALLY I'd go with Pentax and abuse the readily available supply of cheap old K-mount glass. It's great fun and you learn a lot by doing so. I believe you can do this with Nikon, but I'm a Pentax user so... yeah. Pentax rocks.

The K-01 doesn't have a front scroll wheel and lacks a bunch of other features. The K30 will give you good video, fantastic photos and make old glass much easier to focus with. Plus it can run on AA batteries, which no Canon or Nikon camera can do as far as I'm aware.

Someone will let you know more about the benefits of the K-01, but I can tell you as a K-5 user that the K-5 is an absolutely amazing camera. Then again, I'm sure you'll end up loving any camera you end up buying.

06-29-2012, 04:34 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
2 days in Stockholm last winter with the humble ist-ds and the SMC PENTAX-M 1:2.8 40mm
https://www.box.com/s/625ca6d099fd8409cb6c
https://www.box.com/s/209edf19081385021670

Go full screen on these.
06-29-2012, 04:50 PM   #6
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Deimos Quote
I personally wouldnt bother with the K-01, the others will give you more room to grow
Well that would depend; comparing it to what exactly - another Pentax or another camer company all together.

Because the Pentax K-01 uses most all of Pentax's non camera dedicated products; dedicated flash units, variety of lens', etc... About the only items that are not yet available for the K-01 are a dedicated optical viewfinder (preferably hot shoe mount), different battery options (such as a AAA adapter or something similiar), and also a bottom plate mounted external battery grip - and that's about it.

It is to my understanding that; out of all of the Pentax models on the market so far - that the K-01 has the best video; both "built in as it exists out of box" and also gets even better with a few key accessories.
06-29-2012, 04:58 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote
I think you should ask people in Sweden, the area you will be going to, as what brand of camera most available and easiest to get accessories/services there.
yeah, I think first need to know is this too
for example, there are many canon and nikon service and retail in China. but not many for Pentax. many area can not even get Pentax product.
so you should know the situation in Sweden first.
06-29-2012, 05:32 PM   #8

Original Poster
First thing, I want a camera that is versatile in both video and stills. The most important thing for me by far is image quality though, not necessarily one sided.

Second, I just visited the Swedish Pentax site, and from what I can tell, there are tons of resellers and repair shops where I will be living.

Third, The only reason I included the K-01 was because of how versatile it was. Still image quality and video alike.

06-29-2012, 08:31 PM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by liukaitc Quote
yeah, I think first need to know is this too
for example, there are many canon and nikon service and retail in China. but not many for Pentax. many area can not even get Pentax product.
so you should know the situation in Sweden first.
+1 for: SOldBear and liukaitc

In my honest opinion, I think you should to be bother first with Pentax product resources there. I'm sure you want to get a pentax, so if you think you can cope with limited resources, its your call.
06-29-2012, 11:13 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by wombat2go Quote
2 days in Stockholm last winter with the humble ist-ds and the SMC PENTAX-M 1:2.8 40mm
https://www.box.com/s/625ca6d099fd8409cb6c
https://www.box.com/s/209edf19081385021670

Go full screen on these.
Classic Pentax Quality there! (Bravo, good sir)