Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-03-2012, 07:57 PM   #16
Veteran Member

But not sharpen and that was what the question was about right.
So you can't do selective sharpening on the eyes for example, something that's often done with portrait and smoothen the skin a bit.

But that is just a fraction what you can do with photoshop though, thinking about the different blend modes of the layers, the many filters and tools you've there is no comparison really. But if all you want to do is fix exposure of your photo and fix the white balance for example then you really dont need photoshop, i cant do without though. I went from photoshop to photography so very different background then most here.

Just to give you an example.

07-05-2012, 07:16 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I will chime in for Lightroom also. Probably 95% of all my photos have all their PP done in Lightroom. A handful need some more and Photoshop Elements fills that space. I'll admit that CS5 would be better but I really don't use it enough to justify the cost and Elements does what I need. An alternative would be Lightroom and a few third party plug in's. Lightroom is quick and easy to learn and won't be likely to frustrate a beginner.
07-06-2012, 03:41 PM   #18
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
Just to give you an example
Thats amazing, now looks like the movie set of "I Am Legend"

How long did it actually take to do that level of manipulation in real time?
07-06-2012, 07:16 PM   #19
Veteran Member

4,5 hours

10-19-2012, 06:46 PM   #20
Veteran Member

I'm getting into Lightroom (my second attempt) at the moment but have used picasa lots and had good results...

Thinking of moving to a Linux based system... If I do I'll be using 'DarkTable' which is essentialy Lightroom but opensource.
10-20-2012, 06:31 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
I'm still trying to learn the program flow of LR4. I like Picassa, I like Faststone Image Viewer (both free, although Fastsone accepts donations). What I find myself using the most however to tweak 'snapshot' level photos is Photoshop Elements 9 ... I haven't made the jump to the newest version.
10-20-2012, 08:11 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I use Corel PSP X4 at present, and have been using PSP since it was owned by Jasac and version 8. It can do most things, is intuitive, and accepts photoshop plug ins for things it can't do

10-21-2012, 08:59 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by P. Soo Quote
Yes Anvh, you can use selective editing with iPhoto. However, there is only one way to sharpen and image. iPhoto allows you to alter color temp. color tone, contrast, exposure, saturation, as well as remove red eye, do retouching, reduce noise, etc. So it's quite flexible, at least for my average needs.
It sounds like you are looking for our blessing for using iPhoto. You got mine. If you are happy with the results that's good. iPhoto has come along way and is continually being improved. Should down the road you want more image manipulation capability you can, as mentioned previously, download a free trial version of any number of programs.
10-21-2012, 09:07 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

i go back and forth between linux and windows where gimp + g'mic does the job for me for on both platforms. I use other tools here and there too as long as they're free/open source.. :-)
10-23-2012, 08:52 AM   #25

I'm with todd, GIMP does a pretty perfect job (at least for the money ). Its basically designed for the same taskes like PS, but of course hasn't the whole load of Features and tools. But to be hornest, as a photographer (and not a grapic designer) I can do everything I want.

If you are looking fpr a good RAW- converter and Tool to organise your photos (not only RAWs), I strongly recommend the young project darktable. There are stabile versions for nearly all linux distributions and OS X, I think windows will come some day too...
10-24-2012, 06:58 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Go to Photivo.org. It is a terrific free, very powerful RAW processor. I also have Lightroom, but I usually prefer Photivo.
10-25-2012, 06:01 AM   #27

If want to edit so many photos then lightroom is better tool, if want to edit only very few photos but edit them so very good and especially combine parts of different photos to one photo then photoshop. i like them both but different use.
02-21-2013, 03:33 AM   #28

I suggest you to use pixia. Pixia is the English version of a popular Japanese painting and retouching software for full color graphics. It supports mask, layer and many other editing functions. You can use your own customized brush tips and even use an image file as a brush tip to create unique effects.
03-02-2013, 08:56 AM   #29
Veteran Member

What is yalls opinion of Portrait Pro?
03-02-2013, 09:06 AM   #30
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I use Corel PSP X4 at present, and have been using PSP since it was owned by Jasac and version 8. It can do most things, is intuitive, and accepts photoshop plug ins for things it can't do
For the casual user, PSP is terrific value. It has all the basic graphics features you'll ever need without the inflated price and the added publishing and management baggage that comes with the more popular app. There's less scripting and add-ons for PSP because it's not nearly as widely used but you can still find some cool outside plug-ins for it.