Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-01-2012, 05:35 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
After the CROP question

I have noticed that after I crop images, the pixels seemed more pronounced, almost like stairsteps. Does cropping change the orientation of the pixels?

07-01-2012, 05:49 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
Cropping doesn't change the pixel orientation - but how is the cropped photo presented on your monitor - the same size as the pre-cropped photo? If this is the case, as I suspect, then remember you have fewer photo pixels to stretch across that space, so each pixel in the photo is that much larger.
07-01-2012, 07:58 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
A slight crop shouldn't produce any noticeable change. But sure, if you crop just the eye out of a picture of a person and blow it up as a big as the original picture was, the pixels will be displayed/printed much larger and will produce noticeable "jaggies". That's why you have to be careful how much you crop.
07-01-2012, 08:10 PM   #4

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Makes since. The images I cropped were more distant, and their was a lot of distractions that needed to be removed. I shot 147 images today, and posted 116 on my clubs website.