Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-02-2012, 06:46 AM   #1

Problem with swithching Simga lens MF to AF

I have Pentax k-x camera and Sigma 10-20mm f4-5,6 lens. When I mount lens on camera and turn it on, camera shows "Input focal length" and on display is MF icon, but when I switch to AF display still shows MF and lens works as in MF mode, AF doesn't work. I have checked all setting but cant find solution. AF does work with kit lens. I have cleaned contact etc, so I'm asking for help!
I bought Sigma lens 3 month ago and it had no problems till now.

ps. sorry about my english... it's not my native

Last edited by LenorAD; 07-02-2012 at 06:47 AM. Reason: had more to add
07-02-2012, 07:52 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am having the exact same problem with 2 of my Sigma lenses and I still have no idea what the problem is.
07-02-2012, 07:55 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I had that problem with my Sigma 10-20 F4-5.6. The issue seemed to be that I did not mount it fully in place whenever that happened. A slight tightening twist, and the lens would work perfectly fine.
07-02-2012, 09:22 AM   #4

Original Poster
I tried to tighten the twist, but it still don't work as it should. I guess I have to contact with store where I bought it. Does this problem counts as warranty problem?

07-02-2012, 09:23 AM   #5

Original Poster
Is it actually a Pentax or Sigma problem... hmm?
07-02-2012, 11:49 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LenorAD Quote
I would say it's the lens, but you can make certain if the shop where you've bought the lens from try it out on another Pentax DSLR. I have the same lens and I had no trouble with AF on a K100DSuper, K10D and K20D.
07-02-2012, 11:53 AM   #7
Pentaxian

If you have other lenses that are working fine with the camera, then it's the lens problem.

I would say it counts as a manufacturing defect, and would qualify under warranty.
07-02-2012, 12:06 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
If you have other lenses that are working fine with the camera, then it's the lens problem.

I would say it counts as a manufacturing defect, and would qualify under warranty.
OK, I'll do that tomorrow, shall see what they have to say about it. But it's quiet strange because I never had this kind of problem and lens haven't been damaged anyhow

07-02-2012, 12:24 PM   #9
Pentaxian

OK, I'll do that tomorrow, shall see what they have to say about it. But it's quiet strange because I never had this kind of problem and lens haven't been damaged anyhow
Some other people have had the same issues with other lenses. It's generally where the mount is too tight for the lens to connect properly. Someone on this forum mentioned that their DA40mm LTD wasn't registering until they went and gave it a nice twist after putting it on.

It's sample variation, and unfortunately yours is just beyond the margins of tolerance.
07-02-2012, 12:40 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
Some other people have had the same issues with other lenses. It's generally where the mount is too tight for the lens to connect properly. Someone on this forum mentioned that their DA40mm LTD wasn't registering until they went and gave it a nice twist after putting it on.

It's sample variation, and unfortunately yours is just beyond the margins of tolerance.
Well as I said I tried it already and harden twist didn't help.
I'll try to meet some people with other pentax cameras, shall see what happens and then i'll go to that shop
07-03-2012, 06:41 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I use 5 different Sigma lenses and recently 2 of mine have decided to not work on my K20. They worked perfectly fine up until a couple weeks ago when the decided to not register in the camera. I have tried both of them on my K10 and they work just fine so I know it is not the lenses that have issues. I've reset my camera to factory defaults, treid the suggested "twist" method and still nothing works. The lenses work perfectly fine otherwise and I have no issue using them in manual mode but it doesbug me knowing that they aren't working properly.
07-03-2012, 01:47 PM   #12

Original Poster
I solved the problem by myself, lol. I started to twist the lens with out pressing lens release button and some contact went into it's place and AF now works, yay

Last edited by LenorAD; 07-03-2012 at 01:48 PM. Reason: missed word