Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-21-2012, 01:31 PM   #136
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Those examples of "difficult" AF are exactly the problem, actually. The Pentax AF often grabs a subject "behind" stuff instead of the nearest thing. Usually people have a clear shot and aim at a person or animal and then it turns out the camera focused on something just behind that thing.

08-21-2012, 02:14 PM   #137
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Those examples of "difficult" AF are exactly the problem, actually. The Pentax AF often grabs a subject "behind" stuff instead of the nearest thing. Usually people have a clear shot and aim at a person or animal and then it turns out the camera focused on something just behind that thing.
Uhm no - I could easily focus on the leaves in front. It was much harder to focus on the purple flowers, but it was doable.

Example:

I focused on the junction of the two branches in that shot. It racked to infinity twice, but shifting the center AF point a little around allowed it to catch what I wanted. It's just getting an understanding of the AF system on the Pentax cameras. Would I have been frustrated trying to shoot that branch when I first got my k-x? Probably - but now that I've used the camera for more than a year now, and I am pretty confident with my k-x. Only weakness is moving subjects, but I can still do it.

I told my friend, who was looking to go into Pentax - "Pentax's AF isn't terrible - but it takes more learning. So the question is, how much learning is too much for you?"
08-21-2012, 03:37 PM   #138
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
As we've all heard, Pentax AF points are as big as a house. Your camera must be backfocussing.
I was gonna mention that.. damn piece of junk! ;-)
08-21-2012, 03:48 PM   #139
Pentaxian

The following shots taken with my 300mm of the birds in the tree next to my house in what I would call a difficult AF situation. Only several shots out of a few hundred were OOF IMO:

Last edited by bossa; 08-21-2012 at 03:57 PM.
08-21-2012, 03:54 PM   #140
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SKwan Quote
Congratulation! ... You have finally got a good camera and a good copy that can fulfill your requirement on AF!
Thanks. I've done about 8000 exposures so far (2 weddings, 3 photo shoots plus the casual photography) and my keeper rate (or rather, rate of pics being tack sharp or sharp to an acceptable degree) is greater than what I'm used to with K-x. This is while also including several hours of night club type low light photography of people dancing/having fun.

The K-30 performs so well that I purchased a second sample as my backup camera.

Re. recent pics posted: they have nothing to do with the K-5 issues I was experiencing and ranting about, however they *do* show the AF shouldn't be *that* easy to confuse as some have been suggesting.
08-21-2012, 04:08 PM   #141
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The focus points the size of dinner plates is indeed a problem. If this is not the problem in this case.... check your SR is turned off !!!!!
01-15-2013, 05:51 PM   #142

The massive AF points were an issue though I found the K-x better for AF accuracy than the K-r (disaster for AF) K-5 was not covincing either basically it was a flawed AF module that was the problem, but they never addressed it with a fix or in production (shame)
K-30 not tried but it does seem better by some margin.

Problem is I think quite a few Pentax users have already left the building. A very costly mistake in more ways than one. Pentax might pat themselves on the back for keeping quiet and saying nothing, but the damage has been done.
01-15-2013, 07:21 PM   #143
Emperor and Senpai

I generally don't have mis-focussing issues with my K5, and when I do I simply refocus.