Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-27-2012, 09:11 AM   #106
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
The 23% refers to the 23% of the total amount of 100 shots taken. The 75-90% blurry thing is indeed very confusing and I *think* it tells how they evaluated the pics. Ie. if a photo had 75-90% sharpness then it would get categorized as being blurry. How they measure a shot is lets say 80% sharp beats me though.

07-27-2012, 09:14 AM   #107
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Zafar Iqbal Quote
The 23% refers to the 23% of the total amount of 100 shots taken. The 75-90% blurry thing is indeed very confusing and I *think* it tells how they evaluated the pics. Ie. if a photo had 75-90% sharpness then it would get categorized as being blurry. How they measure a shot is lets say 80% sharp beats me though.
Yeah, it seems like a statistical category sort of like a confidence interval or something. It would probably help if we could find the text of the article to go with the graphic, but the whole site is in Russian I think...
07-27-2012, 09:20 AM   #108
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The chart notes that "no missed shots" for the Panasonic (red and at 0%), taking this into consideration the chart speaks for itself:

Blue -> Higher Percentage Better
Green -> Lower Percentage Better
Red -> Lower Percentage Better

Green apparently stands for a "Blurry Shot" - a blurry shot is not a missed shot, a blurry shot is an "out of focus shot", a missed shot (red bar) is a shot where the subject was completely missed (common for me is bird in a bush and focus sets at small branch in front of bird = missed shot as focus never tapped intended subject [quick shift is a god send for this]). As for the legend speaking "percentage's" like it is, I do not understand the methodology behind that. If their test is accurate, the K5's AF system is way above average and competes with the best dslr's (which I personally have noted for a while now)...
07-27-2012, 10:23 AM   #109
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by joe.penn Quote
The chart notes that "no missed shots" for the Panasonic (red and at 0%), taking this into consideration the chart speaks for itself:

Blue -> Higher Percentage Better
Green -> Lower Percentage Better
Red -> Lower Percentage Better

Green apparently stands for a "Blurry Shot" - a blurry shot is not a missed shot, a blurry shot is an "out of focus shot", a missed shot (red bar) is a shot where the subject was completely missed (common for me is bird in a bush and focus sets at small branch in front of bird = missed shot as focus never tapped intended subject [quick shift is a god send for this]). As for the legend speaking "percentage's" like it is, I do not understand the methodology behind that. If their test is accurate, the K5's AF system is way above average and competes with the best dslr's (which I personally have noted for a while now)...
Yes, I can see what it is getting at and which cams fare better. That is all obvious. Still wondering what the actual categories mean specifically. Calling a single image "<75% unacceptable" when judging whether it hits is AF point or not -- what the heck does that mean? (Beyond "bad".) Maybe it is actually judging continuous focus of a moving object and so it is talking about a set of images for each test. That would make sense. So each test would consist of say 20 or 30 shots of a moving object. For the K-5, 5% of those tests had at least 75% bad images (of the 20 or 30 of that set). And it also means that Panasonic had some "bad shots" (individual shots) after all, just that it was always below 75% for each set. (A set being one test with multiple images.)

So to do 100 tests, we are actually talking thousands of individual images. And we are most likely specifically testing tracking AF, not AF in general. In other words the assumption is that all cams can hit their spots on a stationary object, and it is unlikely that they were testing AF performance in low-light or something like that. (Otherwise you wouldn't need a whole set of images for each test, but for tracking you would.) And so it doesn't speak to the OP's problem at all.

So I think I have puzzled it out. Sound plausible?

07-27-2012, 01:30 PM   #110
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
I can understand using that logic for girlfriends; but not for something important, like a camera.
I'm so glad I'm not your GF, grin, though to be fair I'd probably put most guys second to my gear and my animals. Men come and go. Pets love you unconditionally and stay with you their whole lives and my tech toys are MY toys after all. I don't let BF's play with those toys and they do have to respect the animals or get the heck out of my house. I dated a guy who said he was allergic once, but I think he just hated animals. It lasted about a month, I think. One of my cats peed on his shoes right in front of me. It was all I could do not to grin. I cleaned him up but then I showed him the door. Gave him the it's not working out speech. Figured my cat knew something I didn't. Actually he did, I guess. He was a total two-timing rat as it turns out I later found out when he dated someone I knew. But even before I knew that I just knew he wasn't a keeper. Anyone who can look at an animal with that much loathing isn't someone I can see myself being happy with.

You don't ever mess with my animals if you want to live. I'd likely be the same if a guy couldn't keep his hands off my cameras or my computers. I think I could hurt really someone if they ever hurt my gear. I just really don't like that when people use my tech stuff. I can barely stand Dad coming over to check his email every couple of days on my PC. About 10 minutes and I'm antsy, afraid of what he might do to the PC. (I have good reason to feel that way. He's accidentally bugged my PC with viri several times in the past. Totally screwed it up twice by deleting some random file.) He doesn't get near the cameras. I don't care if he did contribute sperm and raise me. He may be my Dad but he doesn't get to play with my cameras. Wouldn't get to touch them even if he knew how. Blood may be thicker than water, but it's not thick enough when it comes to my tech gear...;P

Last edited by magkelly; 07-27-2012 at 01:35 PM.
07-27-2012, 02:57 PM   #111
Site Supporter

I can understand using that logic for girlfriends;
Logic and girlfriends do not belong in the same sentence (or even the same state)
07-27-2012, 05:22 PM   #112
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
You don't ever mess with my animals if you want to live.
I agree with that sentient completely. My wife and son are tied for first for importance in my life, but my cats run a very close second.
07-27-2012, 05:54 PM   #113
Pentaxian

I agree with that sentient completely. My wife and son are tied for first for importance in my life, but my cats run a very close second.
It's amazing what a difference an 'm' makes.

07-27-2012, 06:39 PM   #114
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
It's amazing what a difference an 'm' makes.
It still works.
sentient&mdash;noun

3. a person or thing that is sentient. 4. Archaic . the conscious mind.

I'm quite certain magkelly is a sentient.
07-27-2012, 09:55 PM   #115
Pentaxian

It still works.
sentient&mdash;noun

3. a person or thing that is sentient. 4. Archaic . the conscious mind.

I'm quite certain magkelly is a sentient.
I dunno about that last point .
07-27-2012, 10:54 PM   #116
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
I dunno about that last point .
I'd say it but it would probably just end up getting me banned so I'll let smiley girl here say it for me, lol.

07-27-2012, 11:09 PM   #117
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
I'd say it but it would probably just end up getting me banned so I'll let smiley girl here say it for me, lol.
07-28-2012, 12:01 AM   #118
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
What is "75-90% blurry"? 75-90% of what? Not of the images, because that's 23%.
it looked to me as if "part of the focus point intended that was sharp as intended"? I tried comparing it to the 2 images to the right, displaying "pin-point accuracy"
either they're using the AF in some sort of auto-mode, or I don't get it at all (the latter which is very possible)
07-28-2012, 12:33 AM   #119
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
it looked to me as if "part of the focus point intended that was sharp as intended"? I tried comparing it to the 2 images to the right, displaying "pin-point accuracy"
either they're using the AF in some sort of auto-mode, or I don't get it at all (the latter which is very possible)
That seems like it would be a pretty weird test -- I think when looking at single images they'd have to say "nailed it" or "didn't nail it". Some sort of tracking AF test makes much more sense. There presumably is some text to go with this graphic somewhere. We are looking at it out of context...
07-28-2012, 11:07 AM   #120
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by joe.penn Quote
...The categories mean exactly how they are labled - if 100 shots were taken for the test using each camera tested then 75% (or 75 of the photos) were focused properly...
And there is the core of the issue. What constitutes missed focus?

Steve