Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-04-2012, 08:42 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Vocabulary Question....

I think it would be good if the mods would put up a sticky thread where we can constantly add new vocabulary words...

I was reading some threads the other day and ran across the statement 'the lens had a front/back focus problem'...

Well I am new to the DSLR world and I don't know what that means.

Maybe we can have a sticky thread where people can add whatever vocab questions they want---but then at the top there can be a link to a compiled list so that people don't keep on asking the same thing over and over...kind of like a glossary...

Just a suggestion... that over time might be very useful....

07-04-2012, 08:47 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I learn by using google for the items discussed by the experts on the forum.
For example i just learned about TIFF and Eve Arnold.
"lens front back focus" give more than you could read on the subject.
07-04-2012, 09:17 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wombat2go Quote
I learn by using google for the items discussed by the experts on the forum.
For example i just learned about TIFF and Eve Arnold.
"lens front back focus" give more than you could read on the subject.
That's the problem. I don't want more than I can read. I am reading 3 books about photography now, plus another, plus I read all day every day at work.

Just a paragraph at best will suffice and then if I need to dive in deeper so be it.

It can be like 'the photographer's dictionary'....

The idea is to make it easier not harder. Don't be like one of my college professors who I asked a simple yes or no question to and he handed me a book 2 inches thick and said 'the answer is in here'...and he did it out of spite.

At least I thought the idea of the forum was to be able to quickly access and exchange information to all help each other improve...

The idea would be to make this forum THE forum where people can come to to get help...
07-04-2012, 09:53 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Problem is it's not just photography but also most of it comes from the imaging industry (photoshop) and some comes from the internet as well.

07-04-2012, 10:12 AM   #5
Site Supporter

But in a few seconds we can pick an article of the size/ subject we need.
I think we have to get used to searching because its not going to go away.

I am co author on some industry reference manuals and thinking its a waste to be re-writing detail that is already out there.
Its a balance between assuming the reader knows nothing and has no references, to a reader who is fully informed and is using other references.
07-04-2012, 11:53 AM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I like the idea. I would want to see definitions for initialisms in there for sure. Some definitions of initialisms are already built into the forum, like with AF and FOV. That is, when you hover over them the full term will be shown, except for with DSLR which just shows you a trimmed down initialism . A good number of initialisms would need multiple entries. A few examples: FF can mean full frame or front focus, MF can mean medium format or manual focus, APS-H is one thing on film and another with Canon DSLRs. These multiple use initialisms have been a problem with some of the built in definitions as the feature, while neat, does misidentify the terms pretty often.

Google has worked pretty well for me though in my learning process thus far. All the same, I think creating a glossary sticky it's a good idea. It will require initiative and that might just fall on you to get the ball rolling if it's something you would really like to see. You could kick start the process with your own thread asking for contributions and then compile it as you go along. Eventually the compiled terms from such a thread could become a sticky or at least a really helpful thread. It's not a bad thing to have some vocab terms revisited though as there are competing definitions and uses (or misuses), some more contentious than others. Additionally, some explanations work better for one person than another so it's good to check out different sources. Visuals can also be really nice for communicating the concept behind a given term but that's something that would involve inserting pics and/or providing links.
07-04-2012, 01:45 PM   #7
Pentaxian

I like the idea.

Just curious; what does FF stand for?
07-05-2012, 01:06 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Fontan Quote
I like the idea.

in what context?

and there in lies the problem. the google or wiki suggestion is the best solution.

07-05-2012, 01:12 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Fontan Quote
I like the idea.

File Format, Front Focus or Full Frame.

I guess your point was that some terms, maybe especially acronyms, are ambiguous, even within the one context (in this case digital photography). Trawling through these Forum posts would probably yield all three options for FF, so at least a list of acronyms might be handy (didn't someone suggest this a little while ago?).
07-05-2012, 06:14 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Don't forget Film Festival, we can film with DSLR now
Fill factor is also one.