Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-04-2012, 05:53 PM   #1

Pentax K-5 shutter keeps clicking

Recently my K-5 shutters will just randomly keep clicking away. When it does this I have to shut the camera off then on again and maybe, just maybe I'll be able to take pictures again. It will click away 30 -40 times but not actually take a picturewhen it acts up. I was wondering if any other fellow photo buffs have had this experience, and know what the problem can be?

07-04-2012, 05:54 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Have you updated your firmware? This is a ongoing problem with K-5's, very sad and hope mine doesn't end up the same =(
07-04-2012, 06:19 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Yikes! Haven't heard of this problem. Sounds scary.
07-04-2012, 06:36 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
So many different kinds of shutter problems the K-5 has, scares me for when I get mine tomorrow. Kind of freaky.

07-04-2012, 08:51 PM   #5
Pentaxian

This problem, aka "mirror flop", was a common problem with quite a few K-5's and seemed to peak about 6 months ago (and a much less common for the K-r). It's caused by a faulty mainboard which will need to be replaced. Pentax service in the various countries will have seen quite a few of these cases now and know how to fix these cameras.
07-05-2012, 02:14 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Shows you how eager the K-5 is on taking pictures. Seriously, the K-x/r/5 are so plagued with problems they should not be recommended in the first place. If yours is still covered, have it fixed asap.
08-10-2012, 11:45 AM   #7

Pentax kr

Is this problem also known in Pentax Kr? I look through viewfinder and almost black, started yesterday on vacation, soon as I turn on can maybe take one picture then clicking starts and cannot take pictures. Really a pain, live in Canada, what is turnaround for repair, only had camera about 8 months.

Thanks, really no happy right now with camera, maybe should dump after it is repaired if this is a norm.
08-10-2012, 12:24 PM   #8
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by huntlg Quote
Is this problem also known in Pentax Kr? I look through viewfinder and almost black, started yesterday on vacation, soon as I turn on can maybe take one picture then clicking starts and cannot take pictures. Really a pain, live in Canada, what is turnaround for repair, only had camera about 8 months.

Thanks, really no happy right now with camera, maybe should dump after it is repaired if this is a norm.
Last month - 11 months into my K-r warranty, my camera developed the mirror flop. Started first with manual lenses and then started with DA 35.

Camera arrived at CRIS for repair July 11. Received notice July 24 awaiting parts on back order. Still waiting, with not ETA from CRIS.

08-11-2012, 03:26 PM - 1 Like   #9

I've the k-r, and for other reason I've opened it up to the mirror mechanism, and I can say what the problem could be... I found the last gear (gear n7 from motor, the one with sliding contacts on it) with 2 problems:
one)) the grease with time and use moved from the center shaft all around on the contact flex board, causing bad contact and help making resistence, so the camera loose signal and maybe can turn around and around............
two)) the gear has two cams under it, that needs to flip up the mirror and to charge the shutter, the first cam was consumed by use, because not thick enough (it's plastic) to push that spring 1000000000 times

I don't know if the K5 it's the same, I think this can really be one of the "mirror flop" reasons.
The reason about disassemble my entire k-r is here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-technical-troubleshooting/195494-...y-problem.html

08-12-2012, 11:28 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikey69 Quote
Recently my K-5 shutters will just randomly keep clicking away. When it does this I have to shut the camera off then on again and maybe, just maybe I'll be able to take pictures again. It will click away 30 -40 times but not actually take a picturewhen it acts up. I was wondering if any other fellow photo buffs have had this experience, and know what the problem can be?
If it is still under warranty - send it in!
08-17-2012, 06:00 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Wasn't there a thread a while back that this problem was caused by third party batteries?