Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
07-05-2012, 08:38 AM   #1

Multiple exposures and bracketing

Hi Guys

On my K-x I have both these(multi exposures - upto 9 frames and bracketing - 3 frames) functions that I haven't made use of yet. I understand bracketing perfectly well, but still am not clear on multi exposures function and when to make use of it. I have two questions:
Is multi exposures the same as bracketing? (it confuses me if I read the K-x instruction book regarding that)
Why is it not allowed to set the ev compensation in multi exposures just like it is allowed in bracketing?

07-05-2012, 09:39 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The multiple exposure setting allows you to overlay up to 9 exposures on the same image. One use is to make "ghost" pictures. Set the camera up on a tripod in a room, take a picture with no person in it, a person enters the room an stands there, you take another image. Presto! a ghost.
07-05-2012, 09:57 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks but I am afraid of ghosts, hence not keen on those using multi exposing
But as you mentioned, it allows to overlay 9 exposures, does that mean that I am actually doing a bracketing of 9 exposures, just not automatically as is possible in bracketing? Then what happens to exposure compensation in those 9 exposures, how are they set, if at all? For example, if shooting HDR, can I use multi exposures of upto 9 shots with different exposure compensation values?
07-05-2012, 10:23 AM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Multi exposure is very different from HDR.
with HDR you combine different exposures multi exposure combine the same exposures.
You can also use it instead of a ND filter for example.

07-05-2012, 10:32 AM   #5

Original Poster
You nailed it for me Anvh. Thanks. I am now pretty clear of the difference between bracketing and multi exposure. Helps to understand photography better taking these babysteps
07-05-2012, 10:40 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Multi exposure is not HDR. The sum of the exposures is usually set by using the Auto Adjust EV Compensation that shows when you are selecting the multi exposure. A use other than the "ghost" pictures is to get the flowing water effect usually obtained by very slow shutter speeds when you cannot set the speed slow enough because of the brightness of the lighting. I would recommend setting instant review off when using multiple exposure mode. The camera shows the review on the LCD for every shot in the sequence. This doesn't bother me because I never have instant review turned on.
07-06-2012, 03:58 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Bracketing is for taking a series of frames at different EV's (exposure values). Multiple exposures are for taking one frame but with -usually- different images overlayed together.

I said -usually- because I am currently experimenting with using multiple exposures to minimize high ISO noise when photographing one static subject (ex.: a night scene). The initial casual tests already show lots of promise.

07-06-2012, 05:48 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by zekewhipper Quote
Bracketing is for taking a series of frames at different EV's (exposure values). Multiple exposures are for taking one frame but with -usually- different images overlayed together.

I said -usually- because I am currently experimenting with using multiple exposures to minimize high ISO noise when photographing one static subject (ex.: a night scene). The initial casual tests already show lots of promise.
That looks like an interesting application for static subjects, Zeke.
07-06-2012, 07:15 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by zekewhipper Quote
Look into astro photography they are doing this for years already.
07-07-2012, 08:52 AM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Here's a multiple (double) exposure. It's a useful technique but you can't absolutely predict the results.
07-07-2012, 09:08 AM   #11

Original Poster
Thanks Zekewhipper and Mysticowboy.
Mysticowboy that photo looks like shot through a glass window or is it the unpredictable result that you mentioned one can get using multiple exposures?
07-07-2012, 09:46 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I don't have the camera with me now.. but here is my take on this. With bracketing, you can trip the shutter once to get multiple shots with different exposures (+-EV) whereas in multiple exposures you have to trip the shutter the number of times depending on the number of shots you want to stack. In Multiple exposure option, you can also select +-EV option as well (thus the confusing part). Typically you use multiple exposures option for stacking shots producing the long exposure or dragging the shutter effect (running water or lesser noise).
07-07-2012, 09:57 AM   #13

Original Poster
Thanks Aleonx3.
Is there any other use for the multiple exposures function other than the running-waterall-looking-like-cotton effect? That effect can be easily achieved using a slow shutter speed in just one go, rather than taking multiple exposures.
07-07-2012, 01:43 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

@aleonx3
QuoteQuote:
With bracketing, you can trip the shutter once to get multiple shots with different exposures (+-EV) whereas in multiple exposures you have to trip the shutter the number of times depending on the number of shots you want to stack.
This differs with Pentax bodies. With my K200D (which does not offer multiple exposure), bracketing requires to trip the shutter for every exposure, too. At least in single shot mode - I never tried it with cont.
07-07-2012, 03:54 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by voyager13 Quote
Thanks Aleonx3.
Is there any other use for the multiple exposures function other than the running-waterall-looking-like-cotton effect? That effect can be easily achieved using a slow shutter speed in just one go, rather than taking multiple exposures.
But if you cannot slow the shutter speed enough for the effect you wish, you can use the multi-exposure to get the same effect. Requires a tripod.