Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-05-2012, 12:22 PM   #1
Inactive Account

*ist ds won't play back after taking photo

Hi all, great forum, I'll be hanging out here for a while. I'm new to Dslr, photography and Pentax. I purchased an *ist-ds on ebay a few months ago it came with a few problem but for less than $200 I was glad it worked at all,The issue is the play button... When I take a pic and try to review it, nothing happens. well every once in a blue moon it might work. the pressure used to activate the button has nothing to do with it, it just works when it wants to. I have searched high and low with no luck on a fix for this issue. any help would be great, the firmware is up to date.

Thanks
The F.N.G.

07-05-2012, 02:48 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
When it doesn't work what happens if you push it again?
07-05-2012, 04:04 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hello Oct,
I have ist ds (2) for many years and still my main camera. They work very well except in high iso above 800
As I recall, I had exactly the "blue moon" problem you describe early on; one of them was fixed in warranty.
Another similar problem is that after some use, the shutter speed adjust wheel on the upper right becomes flakey.

However the ist ds 's I have never had the low battery problem frequently reported on other early Pentax dslrs.
Also, with reports on this forum about Auto Focus problems in the later dslrs, I can say the ist ds focus beautifully, "never misses" and even works in low light if the flash is up. ( but that scares the subjects!)
As I had electronics background, i have a donor ist ds here which I have stripped down for parts, documenting the procedure which is on another thread.
I have not opened up the blue play button area , but i expect it is same as the others,: a special mini switch component soldered to a flex circuit.
As far as I can see the way to fix would be to replace the whole flex containing the offending switch.

Some on the forum here have reported success spraying contact cleaner around the offending switch, but I would not do that as the sensor is close by that blue play button and also the wheel.
It is no fun servicing inside the camera, a combo of old fashioned/ low volume tech and high tech, wires which break and have to be unsoldered the old way, and a charged capacitor which will blow your arm off.
The sensor and the MoBo have to stay united because the sensor flaws are mapped in factory start up or in pentax service.
I suppose the pro service companies have all that in hand. However i doubt that you could get a repair cost that would be worth while.
07-05-2012, 08:01 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
@ Jatrax. In most cases the button will work after turning the camera on and off (god knows) times. some times if I turn the camera on and take a pic then press play within a sec of the picture being take it will play back pics until I turn the camera off or the camera goes to sleep. after that I can try the same process 80x's with no success.

07-05-2012, 08:03 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
@ wombat. I will destroy that camera if I have to remove a single screw. seriously. screwdriver + first screw removed = camera fall apart and burst into flames!
07-06-2012, 05:26 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yeah, you are wise.
I was thinking I have the parts in the donor camera here, but I am not into repair of other cameras.