Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-06-2012, 11:28 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
How to set shutter speed with ISO..

Being new I have Kr camera. Maybe I'm reading to much into my problem. Trying to set the shutter speed with the ISO. Do I have to go to either Av or Tv or Sv.. Any simple suggestion would help.. So much to absorb.. and learn..

07-06-2012, 11:37 AM   #2
Pentaxian

You mean, change the ISO and the shutter speed follows? Or change shutter speed and ISO follows?
07-06-2012, 11:58 AM   #3
JWS

Original Poster
I think you're right. So how would one perform the task..
07-06-2012, 12:00 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you want a specific shutter speed and aperture, and want the ISO to change to match, use TAV.

AV changes shutter speed.
TV changes aperture.
Only TAV changes ISO.

07-06-2012, 01:08 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
If you want a specific shutter speed and aperture, and want the ISO to change to match, use TAV.

AV changes shutter speed.
TV changes aperture.
Only TAV changes ISO.
Not sure what you're trying to say, but K-r doesn't have TAV mode.
Basically, the 4 basic auto-exposure modes get a "correct" exposure, with one (or two) of the 3 exposure parameters being held constant by the user. Tv mode lets the user impose the shutter speed (T->time), and thus ISO and aperture may change, Av mode lets the user impose the aperture (A->aperture), Sv mode ISO (S->sensitivity), and TAv imposes the shutter speed and aperture, and lets the camera select an appropriate ISO. There's also the M (manual) mode, which lets you control all 3 parameters. However, the changes are not correlated, so only trial-and-error or the green button will give you a "correct" exposure, and varying any of the parameters in an uncorrelated way will result in over- or underexposure. Hope that helps.
07-06-2012, 03:00 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't have a k-r manual, you might be able to get one online

But after looking over my K-x and K-5 manual, neither AV nor Tv changes ISO.

QuoteQuote:
Basically, the 4 basic auto-exposure modes get a "correct" exposure, with one (or two) of the 3 exposure parameters being held constant by the user.
You must be talking about setting your camera to auto-ISO, which I never do, but I can see how with a camera without TAV might need to do that. I just leave as little as possible to the camera to decide. It often makes decisions I don't like left on it's own. I definitely would not recommend leaving two parameters to the camera. You just don't know what you'll get.

My auto-ISO is off so much, I forgot it existed.
07-06-2012, 08:20 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JWS Quote
Being new I have Kr camera. Maybe I'm reading to much into my problem. Trying to set the shutter speed with the ISO. Do I have to go to either Av or Tv or Sv.. Any simple suggestion would help.. So much to absorb.. and learn..
Use Av mode and manual ISO. To increase the shutter speed, increase the ISO. To decrease shutter speed, decrease the ISO.