Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-06-2012, 04:23 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Parents with young children - what camera bag are you using?

I know there are probably countless threads about camera bags. I have a traditional bag that holds a (D)SLR with a kit lens, a 70-300 zoom, cable release, film/memory cards/charger, etc. Plenty of space. I also have the top loading holster type that holds a single body and the kit lens/prime.

I'm looking at a backpack style or some other suggestion to meet my needs -

I have a 2 year old, second due within the next couple weeks. We used to get out regularly on the trails with the dogs and hike. I'm thinking a backpack style that allows me to bring the camera and also keep some of the regular stuff we use for the kids in one pack seems like a good idea. If I just want to take camera stuff, I have options for that.

Are any of you parents combining diaper bag/snacks/stuff for the kids into a single bag? Maybe something like this: Lowepro - Photo Sport 200 AW

I just see herding a couple kids with shoulder style bags that slip off the shoulder and trying to carry kids at times will be a handful. Any suggestions on bags to combine what we'll be carrying or any other suggestions for bags?

07-06-2012, 04:28 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Kata 467 is good and cheap and suits your needs.
07-06-2012, 05:07 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
Kata 467 is good and cheap and suits your needs.
Looks good. Is my thought of having the ability to combine the diaper bag and camera bag a decent idea or is it just stupid for some reason I can't think of right now?

If it's a bad idea, I'm all ears.
07-06-2012, 06:07 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Its a good idea JT,
Eddie Bauer diaper backpack here continues as the camera bag now the boys are older. Of course camera and lens often have to coexist with some little Thomas engines and a couple of Starwars guys etc
It doesn't look like a diaper bag and is small and comfortable with wide padded straps.

07-06-2012, 06:21 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wombat2go Quote
Its a good idea JT,
Eddie Bauer diaper backpack here continues as the camera bag now the boys are older. Of course camera and lens often have to coexist with some little Thomas engines and a couple of Starwars guys etc
It doesn't look like a diaper bag and is small and comfortable with wide padded straps.
That's what I'm thinking, but a lot of bags, probably more money than Eddie Bauer, have separate compartments to keep the toys, butt paste, wipes, etc separate from the camera stuff. I'm hoping to find something reasonable that can do both - doesn't look like camera gear to get stolen and doesn't look like a big diaper bag either that can be strictly camera gear when we go somewhere without the kids or whatever.
07-06-2012, 06:53 PM   #6
Site Supporter

I use a Saffrotto which is a Domke F1 clone.
It was designed to carry 2 pro bodies and quite a few lenses.

I use half of the bag for a K5 with lens, 1 WA, 1 short-tele.
The other half of the bag, has the padding section removed for the diapers and such.
07-06-2012, 07:02 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
I use a Saffrotto which is a Domke F1 clone.
It was designed to carry 2 pro bodies and quite a few lenses.

I use half of the bag for a K5 with lens, 1 WA, 1 short-tele.
The other half of the bag, has the padding section removed for the diapers and such.
Looks good, but I'm after the backpack style. I have a large canvas shoulder bag for diapers that could easily accommodate a camera. I'm looking for something that will allow me to chase two kids and not have to fight with the bag falling off my shoulder.
07-06-2012, 08:26 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I have a Kata 3-in-1 20 and on family outings I would put a couple diapers, a travel pack of wipes and a bottle in the upper pocket.

07-06-2012, 10:46 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jtkratzer Quote
Looks good. Is my thought of having the ability to combine the diaper bag and camera bag a decent idea or is it just stupid for some reason I can't think of right now?

If it's a bad idea, I'm all ears.
I like having multiple bags for different purposes, but I basically use two different kinds. I have a dedicated camera shoulder bag (Thinktank retro 5). I use this bag for short shooting when I won't have to carry anything but camera gear and only for short periods. When I go hiking or if I need extra storage for kid/baby stuff then I switch to one of my backpacks. I've never had a camera backpack. Instead I go the other route and have various backpacking/daypacks I use for these purposes. To protect my gear I simply use whatever lens wraps, pouches, or dividers I might need for the gear I decide to take and then organize it in the bag.
07-06-2012, 10:49 PM   #10
Pentaxian

I use one of the Vanguard slingshots myself. But I don't anything else in there but camera gear. We just stopped such activities when our daughter arrived.
07-07-2012, 05:15 AM   #11
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jtkratzer Quote
...I have a 2 year old, second due within the next couple weeks. We used to get out regularly on the trails with the dogs and hike. I'm thinking a backpack style that allows me to bring the camera and also keep some of the regular stuff we use for the kids in one pack seems like a good idea. If I just want to take camera stuff, I have options for that.

Are any of you parents combining diaper bag/snacks/stuff for the kids into a single bag? Maybe something like this: Lowepro - Photo Sport 200 AW...
I have gone the other route. When I have my camera with my kid I use a crumpler insert. Its basically enough room for a dslr with kit/prime and a medium size lens - a tight combo for me was K-x w/18-55 mounted and a 55-300. I've since dropped both the DA-L lenses and now I travel with a DA16-50 and a small off-camera flash kit (mini-tripod, small flash and radio trigger). I like using the insert since it can go into any of the bags you already have, they are inexpensive ($35-50 depending on the size) and protect your kit from all the various fluids associated with children (juice boxes, milk, water, cleaners etc) and also means you don't have a nice camera bag ruined by baby stuff (see previous list).
07-07-2012, 06:11 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Gareth.Ig Quote
I have gone the other route. When I have my camera with my kid I use a crumpler insert. Its basically enough room for a dslr with kit/prime and a medium size lens - a tight combo for me was K-x w/18-55 mounted and a 55-300. I've since dropped both the DA-L lenses and now I travel with a DA16-50 and a small off-camera flash kit (mini-tripod, small flash and radio trigger). I like using the insert since it can go into any of the bags you already have, they are inexpensive ($35-50 depending on the size) and protect your kit from all the various fluids associated with children (juice boxes, milk, water, cleaners etc) and also means you don't have a nice camera bag ruined by baby stuff (see previous list).
I started looking into this as well as I have a small Deuter pack that has a zippered flap to separate the top and bottom compartments. What do you search for? Crumpler insert?
07-07-2012, 07:50 AM   #13
Site Supporter

Here is the link for the crumpler website. This is the one I have, you can also go larger.
07-07-2012, 01:19 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Gareth.Ig Quote
Here is the link for the crumpler website. This is the one I have, you can also go larger.
This looks great, too. I didn't know Crumpler was a brand. I just dug out my pack I was thinking about using for this, a Deuter Futura 38. It's a bit different than the new models as this one is 10 years old already. I bought it when I was living in Köln. The bottom seems like it would be able to fit the large model alright. Mother-in-law and wife both think the pack isn't too big to load up with the kids' stuff for a trip to the park or a hike where one of us has the pack and the other has the baby bjorn. I think I'll give it a try. I certainly don't need another pack as I have some bigger and smaller than this one. Knowing it's not designed as a camera bag for hiking, it's not going to be the fastest way to get things out or put them away, but there are compromises to everything. I just think we're going to have a decent amount of stuff between two different diaper sizes until we get our daughter on the toilet, food/snacks, changes of clothes, bibs/burp cloth, etc. I almost forgot how much crap you lug around for a newborn.

Is the large the way to go if I want to take the K-5, 18-55 kit lens, and a 70-300 lens along with a spare battery? I would think most of the other odds and ends could go anywhere in the pack.

Last edited by jtkratzer; 07-07-2012 at 01:32 PM.
07-07-2012, 02:02 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have a nine-year-old North Face Big Shot - it's just a rucksack, known in our house as 'the blue bag' or 'the adventure bag' (although the latter is falling out of use, sadly - kids grow up fast, and so a trip to the park is now no longer quite such an adventure!)

Anyway, the bag has no padding, but as it always has spare clothes in (to cope with changes in the weather, kid falling over etc) I just wrap the 70-200 and my flash in those and drop them in. The k-7 sits on top of it all, ready for action. As the bag is on my back it doesn't get bumped around so it's fine. I have a little Loewpro thing that I can fit k-7, 18-55, 70-200 and a few filters in. On a long trip I pack that up and it fits inside the North Face one, which protects things a bit more. The flash still has to get wrapped in spare clothes. Not great for access though as it goes at the bottom of the bag.