Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-06-2012, 07:19 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How often should I charge my k10D battery?

I have a k10D with two batteries, charger and battery grip, though I often don't use the grip. Do I need to completely drain the battery before recharging it? If I'll be out all day shooting a lot, should I charge the batteries the night before, even though I don't know if they are almost fully charged, half full or nearly drained?
I want to get the maximum life out of my batteries but I don't want to get stuck with dead batteries in the middle of the day at the bottom of a canyon where I can't recharge!

07-06-2012, 07:54 PM   #2
Veteran Member

As far as I know, those Lithium batteries can be charged whenever you want to; they don't have a "memory" like cadmium. If you carry a spare battery with you, I wouldn't worry about draining in the middle of the day unless you have a 128gb memory card or you leave it on the whole time. When I had my K10, I was filling up my 8gb and 16gb card waaaay before just one of my batteries would even hint at running low (or even half!).
07-08-2012, 12:35 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I generally let the batteries get close to discharged before charging, but I have a spare and if I am going to do a lot of shooting I make sure they are both charged at the start, if traveling I will swab with the spare at the end of the day if I have not been forced to switch in the day because the meter on the K10 is not great. It shows fully charged until there are only about 20 shots left
07-09-2012, 09:19 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks. Good to know about the meter!

07-09-2012, 09:21 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks. I get confused about which batteries you're supposed let run down and which it doesn't matter!