Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-07-2012, 10:35 AM   #1

Ebay Cokin lookalike filters any good?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hi Guys,

Has anyone bought and used these from ebay 6pcs ND2 ND4 ND8 Gradual ND2 4 8 Filter Set + 9pcs Ring Adapter for Cokin P LF6 | eBay

It would be interesting to know if those on ebay are as good as the original Cokins (Note I do not mention Lee here because Lees are a much higher quality filters though their prices are also higher than Cokins)

07-07-2012, 11:15 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
Well Cokin filters are cheap filters, they scratch easily and usually produce magenta color casts when you stack several filters together (a true nightmare when using several ND with a GND), so I can't image how bad these filters must be for the complete set to cost a little more than a single cokin filter. Only reason I could think of to get this set would be to get the adapter rings on the cheap, but even then I would be afraid of poor quality materials and the threading not done properly.
07-07-2012, 11:26 AM   #3

Original Poster
Yes I suspect the threading may not be of good quality (as the expression goes 'you get what you pay for') Still would be great to know from someone who has purchased them from ebay to find out how long they last. I mean if they last 1-2 years than perhaps not a bad investment for the sake of just getting the adapter and rings, and then perhaps investing in good quality filters to fit on them. Who doesn't like cost-cutting?
07-07-2012, 02:49 PM   #4

The problem is not so much how long they would last, the filter holder and rings are not subjected to pressure, so I doubt either would fail under normal use, the threading issue is also not one of being able to last a long time, a lot of lenses have plastic threading and if a metal adapter ring were to have defective threading, it could potentially damage the threading on the lens. You could try them carefully to see, but then I own 3 rings which fit most of my lenses, so having 6 of them is pointless.
There are several no-name adapter rings for Cokin P system for about 5 $ each on Amazon, some with user comments or reviews so you know what to expect. Just get the no-name rings that you need and you can probably save money and still get something you'll actually use.

07-07-2012, 09:10 PM   #5
Veteran Member

In my personal experience, the ebay knock-off filters aren't very good in that you'll end up with a strong magenta colour cast when using the filters, and especially once you start stacking them; and there is a limit on how much correction you can do on the computer. I have since replaced my filters with Hitech filters, which only have a very slight colour cast. On the other hand, I haven't had any issues with the knock-off filter rings and holders.
07-14-2012, 01:12 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by voyager13 Quote
Yes I suspect the threading may not be of good quality (as the expression goes 'you get what you pay for') Still would be great to know from someone who has purchased them from ebay to find out how long they last. I mean if they last 1-2 years than perhaps not a bad investment for the sake of just getting the adapter and rings, and then perhaps investing in good quality filters to fit on them. Who doesn't like cost-cutting?
Why would anybody try these? The original Cokins are already comparetively cheap and crappy, why even bother to buy even poorer quality. Even the Chinese can not magically produce good quality for nothing.
If you want Cokin compatible filters for cheap, which still provide useable quality, you should look out for the Kood branded filters. I have the Cokin CPL and the Kood CPL and the Kood produces far less wrong colours and is all in all the better product. But in reality I never use it.

If you want really good filter quality, that starts with HiTech and then Lee and other brands, which you can still use in the cheap Cokin holders. The Chinese made holders and adaptor rings are fine in my experience and can easily replace the original Cokin ones.

Ben
07-14-2012, 08:25 PM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks Jase, Pop4 and Ben for such good information. Yes I should be looking for at least the Hitechs, if not the Lees. Perhaps a reasonably good quality holder, and just the rings from ebay.

04-21-2013, 12:08 PM   #8

Here are some early results of my ebay cokin knockoff ND filter kit. It cost me US$20 shipped and includes three NDs and three graduated filters, adapters for everything, a filter holder and bag.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/222501-my-ebay...est-shots.html
04-21-2013, 12:37 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rafael Quote
Here are some early results of my ebay cokin knockoff ND filter kit. It cost me US$20 shipped and includes three NDs and three graduated filters, adapters for everything, a filter holder and bag.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/222501-my-ebay...est-shots.html
Hi Rafael
I had a quick look at your examples - thank you for posting these. The first two (without filter and the weakest ND) look similar in colour, but the other filters give a strong magenta cast. Nevertheless it is hard to judge in detail, as all shots suffer from a severe colour shift (white balance off?). The web images are also too low res and probably too compressed, to spot any differences in sharpness or contrast transfer. Taken all this into account, the sheer fact, that I am able to discern a strong colour shift by the stronger filters, seems testimony enough for their poor quality.

Regards
Ben
04-21-2013, 01:04 PM   #10
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Just a thought, we all spend on a fortune on good quality lenses, right.

Why would we then want to put cheap resin sheets on their front ends?
04-21-2013, 10:18 PM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
Just a thought, we all spend on a fortune on good quality lenses, right.

Why would we then want to put cheap resin sheets on their front ends?
@kerrowdown - That's so true. As I try quality filters on my lenses, I can see that the image quality gets affected by poor quality filters compared to excellent filters is like night and day.
04-22-2013, 01:18 PM   #12
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by voyager13 Quote
Ebay Cokin lookalike filters any good?
Here's another thought, they would make good photography themed drinks coasters.
04-24-2013, 05:29 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Also be aware of any name brand filters on ebay that are coming from China, there are lots of fakes out there.