Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-07-2012, 06:29 PM   #1

Need help with Multiple Exposure

Hi everyone, I just got an old K1000 from ebay a few days ago, and I'm completely new with film cameras.

I've been trying to play with multiple exposure lately, and it doesn't seem to work. I try to hold the film release button while turning the lever, but the film still advances. What have I done wrong? Thank you!

07-07-2012, 08:03 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Sometimes this happens.

To avoid or at least minimize the effect, first use the rewind (without pressing the release button!) to straighten the film. Don't use too much force, otherwise the tension may move the film a bit in reverse direction later on. After doing this, you would need 3 hands - but with some practice it works - to still hold the rewind in fixed position, press the release button, and use the advance lever at the same time.

Some small movement of the film still cannot always be avoided, specially if you got not enough or too much tension on the film. You have to develop the feeling for the rewind trick.

There was a thread in this forum for the subject in respect to the Pentax ME Super (about year ago?). But the procedure is mainly the same with all such cameras, not only the K1000, and not only with Pentax.

EDIT:
AFTER taking the second (or third, fourth,...) shot to the same frame, the release may not yet be synchronized with the advance mechanism. It can happen that then the film will advance only half a frame. To make sure you don't destroy your work (and the next picture), after the advance to the next ordinary shot make one empty picture (lens cap on). And keep in mind that the counter may not be correctly synchronized, too.

EDIT 2:
This is a link to one of several threads:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-film-slr-discussion/94015-pentax-m...-exposure.html
But you can find more if you use the search function and look for "multiple exposure"

Last edited by RKKS08; 07-07-2012 at 08:30 PM.
07-08-2012, 07:50 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Maybe you didn't push the release button in far enough? You need to hold it all the way in. There was some discussion in this thread. And you do have to hold onto the rewind button too. I learned this as the "three finger method"
In my experience the film will always advance only half a frame when doing this, because the sprockets are disengaged by the release button. So you always need to shoot that blank frame as mentioned above. Also if you're having your film done at a lab, remind them to be careful when cutting the negatives (or ask them not to & do it yourself) because they will be irregularly spaced with those blank half-frames. Careless lab people can chop your image in half if they aren't paying attention to that.
And don't forget to adjust your exposure for the extra pix on one frame. The easiest way to do it is to change your ISO dial -- and don't forget to change it back when you're done!