Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-09-2012, 04:59 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
trouble with indoor shoots

Can't seem to get the yellow tint out of photos when making inside shots. Photos also appear grainy. I have ordered a Expodisc Digital White Balance Filter the 'neutral version" in hopes it helps. Anyone use one of these or have you figured out how to adjust inside setting? Can't seem to get the yellow tint out of photos when making inside shots. Photos also appear grainy. I have ordered a Expodisc Digital White Balance Filter the 'neutral version" in hopes it helps. Anyone use one of these or have you figured out how to adjust inside setting?
I am new to site and love it. I join the site to try and get comments, suggestions, hints,etc as I am a self learning and want to improve and learn. Looking to learn how to make a "wow" shot. If you could please look up my album and some of my shots and leave comments, suggestions, hints,etc. Thanks and God Bless mawmawdowling4

07-09-2012, 07:51 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Have you read about White Balance (Google the term if unfamilair). You don't need fancy expensive filters to solve the probem, nor do they solve it automatically for you anyhow. You simply need to learn what white balance is and how to set it appropriately Your camera should ave a Tungsten or Incandescent preset and simply using that when shooting under that light should be all the adjustment you need. The much more complicated process you would have to go through in order to use the ExpoDisc is major overkill.

As for graininess, the next thng to Google is ISO. Well, not that term itself, since you,ll get all sorts of unrelated hits. But says, "photography exposure iso noise" should give you a wealth of readong material. Basically, the less light you have to work with, the high the ISO setting has to be on the camera, and the more noise that results. That's just an inescapable fact of life. You can buy larger more expensive lenses that allow lower ISO for the same amount of light, and you can learn how to reduce noise in postprocessing, but there is no getting around the fact that low light photogrpahy means some amount of noise.
07-09-2012, 08:18 AM   #3

Original Poster
I most of the time shot in Auto on the ISO, and found in the Menu of my new K20 (love it) the setting to turn noise off. Just asking before I google do u feel photos need a
some noise to make a clear shot or is it depend on the person shooting?

I am so happy to have found a peer group!
07-10-2012, 05:49 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Hard question to answer. I usually prefer the least amount of noise possible, but in some cases I get a picture that really looks good with some noise in it. In general, most photographers prefer the least noise they can get away with. It really depends on what you want. I want pictures that will print as clear as possible.

Then again in some cases I will try to actually add some noise especially with a good black and white, to simulate that old newspaper look. This is rare though.

I normally shoot ISO 200 if at all possible, and I avoid going higher than ISO 800. When I have enough light, I drop it down to ISO 100 to minimize noise. But then I'm picky, I want it as clear as possible.

In the end it all comes down to what do you want? Try everything, ignore the rules. Set the camera so you can specify what ISO you want then take pictures at different ISO levels and see what appeals to you. What I stated above is a generality, sometimes I'll intentionally shoot at ISO 3200 just to get noise. I've also been known to leave the white balance alone inside just to get that yellow tint. Or use the wrong white balance setting just to get the odd effect that results. That's called art...for some strange reason...

Tinker...experiment...if it doesn't work, delete it. Try again...

07-10-2012, 06:43 PM   #5
Site Supporter

You've got good advice from Marc and Pete. I looked at your album but did not see any indoor shots, it may help to post a couple so everyone could see the EXIF data and see what actual settings are on each shot. Getting the proper white balance should get rid of the tint. I usually use my K20D on auto white balance and it does ok, changing a few in post production when needed. If you are using auto ISO in the K20D you aren't going above 400, so there shouldn't be that much noise there, unless the shots are underexposed. Are you shooting in Raw or jpg? If you shoot in raw you can most likely save those yellow tinted shots in post production. Most of all pay attention to the guys like Marc and Pete, they can really help you.