Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-09-2012, 03:20 PM   #1
Forum Member

Long Bulb exposure on a K2000

I plan on using my newly acquired K2000 on my telescopes.
I need to be able to open the shutter for several minutes at a time and since there is no threaded cable release on the shutter button, I'm at a loss on how to accomplish this. From what I've been able to gather, the Pentax Remote F probably will not do what I need. I do NOT want to have to HOLD the silly button down for that long.
I'm contemplating making a bracket that will permit me to use my old mechanical shutter cables from my film SLR cameras.
Any comments or suggestions would be most appreciated.
Thanks
Bernd

07-09-2012, 04:03 PM   #2
Veteran Member

1 - Buy a 2$ chinese IR remote.
2 - Set your camera to 2touch bulb mode. [C3.15, at least on my K-r]
3 - ????????
4 - Profit!
07-09-2012, 05:00 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Don't forget about "dark frame subtraction " I was stymied by it. I thought my Kr had a bug or was frozen, but it was creating the dark frame which I had never encountered with sub 30s exposures.

Be sure to post some of your shots!
07-09-2012, 05:15 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by GabrielFFontes Quote
Set your camera to 2touch bulb mode. [C3.15, at least on my K-r]
May not be available on the k2000, it is very basic. If not, there is a thread or two here showing someones DIY shutter button holder that slips into the hotshoe.

07-09-2012, 07:30 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Reading through the manual I don't think the 2-touch (Shutter open/close) in bulb mode with an IR remote is available on K-m/K2000. It may be crude but if you can find a miniature c-clamp and clamp the button on the remote for as long as you want your exposure. The remote doesn't have to be in front of the camera; just somewhere adjacent with direct line of sight with the sensor. Once you're done with your exposure you can "un-clamp" the remote or simply move it away from the camera.

As mentioned above, if you're not familiar with DFS (Dark Fram Subtraction) you may want to do a research on the subject. I don't know about the k-m but the K-x/K-r (and perhaps other higher models) will perform DFS for exposure >30 seconds. Cheers.
07-09-2012, 10:55 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks VERY much for your comments guys. I will give serious thought to everything! The K2000 doesn't do DFS but that's OK. I was thinking of making a shutter cable bracket to attach to the 1/4-20 tripod hole and I never considered using the flash shoe. That would actually be a simpler arrangement..
I have 2 dedicated astro ccd cameras but they are a PIYA to use what with the laptop and all, so I thought the DSLR approach would be a lot more streamlined.
Thanks again
07-10-2012, 05:56 AM   #7
Veteran Member

In the appendix section my k2000 manual says the remote control F is compatible with this camera. Now how that works in bulb mode this page https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/191964-long-bul...ure-k2000.html does not say.
07-11-2012, 03:49 PM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
I called Pentax and the really helpful guy there sais YES, the K2000 WILL do long exposures with the Remote F unit. GREAT!!!
BUT he called me back the next morning to tell me that he was mistaken, it will NOT do long exposure.
So I made myself a metal bracket which attaches to the hot shoe and permits me to use my old locking cable release from the 35mm SLR days.
Works just fine

Now another issue has popped up that I haven't been able to find a solution for, so here I am....
When the K2000 is in manual mode and the camera is attached to the back of my telescope using a T adapter, the camera asks for a lens focal length.
The highest it will go is 800mm, not nearly close to what my telescopes are.
Does this even matter since I am focusing manually and only using the camera in MANUAL mode??
Thanks!

Bernd

07-11-2012, 06:10 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Its for SR
If you are on a tripod, no need to worry, SR should be off.

Enjoy
07-11-2012, 07:31 PM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks Mattt
I was hoping that was the answer. So that's one more issue laid to rest.