Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-10-2012, 06:02 PM   #1

manual lens on K-10

I have the K-10 body. And I use manual lens on it a good deal of the time. Never had a problem, turned the dial to "M", "M" focus & I could adjust the shutter speed by using the front dial & adjust the f/stop manually on the lens. No big deal. But, today, I turn the dial to "M", "M" focus but it will not let me adjust the shutter speed. The "f/stop" flashes on the display panel. If I put the lens that came with the camera on, I use the "M" to change everything by hand. Does anyone have an ideal what may be the problem? Thank you in advance.
pdl1945

07-10-2012, 06:07 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I suspect you have the f/stop ring on "A". You have to have it on a real f/stop such as 8 or 5.6
07-10-2012, 06:14 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pdl1945 Quote
I have the K-10 body. And I use manual lens on it a good deal of the time. Never had a problem, turned the dial to "M", "M" focus & I could adjust the shutter speed by using the front dial & adjust the f/stop manually on the lens. No big deal. But, today, I turn the dial to "M", "M" focus but it will not let me adjust the shutter speed. The "f/stop" flashes on the display panel. If I put the lens that came with the camera on, I use the "M" to change everything by hand. Does anyone have an ideal what may be the problem? Thank you in advance.
pdl1945
also check in your menu to see if the option to allow a F stop ring is set to "allowed"

thanks

randy
07-10-2012, 08:28 PM   #4
Pentaxian

If the F- - is flashing the menu option Aperture Ring is not set to permitted. It should be set to "permitted".

What lens are you using?

"A" lenses should be set to "A" - in manual mode you should see the meter bar. Adjust shutter speed and f stop via front and back dials, respectively.

Non-"A" lenses or not set on "A": stop-down metering: menu options - aperture ring - permitted, preview method - optical preview, Green button in TAv & M - TV Shift.

To use stop-down metering - set the f-stop you want on the aperture ring. Pressing the green button stops down, meters and sets the shutter speed. Or push the preview lever. This stops down the lens and turns on the bar meter. Set your aperture with the ring and the shutter speed with the front dial and "needle-match" the exposure. With screw-mount lenses it's best to focus and compose with the lens wide open before metering.