Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-12-2012, 04:03 PM   #1

K-5 not recognizing 43mm limited?

I just got an used a black FA 43mm limited this afternoon. My excitement soon turned into disappointment as my K-5 doesn't seem to be reading the lens. Whenever I turn it on, the aperture flashes F - - and the ISO stays at 12800. I am pretty sure my camera is working fine, because I went to B&H last weekend and tried a few 43mm limited and never had this problem. I tried to clean the rear rim and it is no use. Does anyone have any ideas or remedies? I got this lens off eBay in an auction, which I probably should not have done. The owner does not allow returns, so if I can't figure out a way to make it work, I might have to file a claim via the eBay Buyer Protection program.

Thanks
ZG

07-12-2012, 04:10 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Have you set the Aperture ring on the lens to "A"? Push in the little button on the aperture ring and rotate the ring until "A" lines up with the red dash like this one

07-12-2012, 04:11 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would try to first clean the contacts. A touch of isopropyl alcohol should remove any oil or grime build up. If that fails try the lens on another body if you have access to one.
And also try what twitch said.
07-12-2012, 04:13 PM   #4

Original Poster
Oh wow, excuse my stupidity with the camera. Thank you so much for the help! =)

07-12-2012, 04:14 PM   #5

Original Poster
That was to Twitch. I tried alcohol. But thanks anyway!
07-12-2012, 04:16 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gzq916 Quote
That was to Twitch. I tried alcohol. But thanks anyway!
Don't worry, we've all done it, first thing I played with when I got a lens with an aperture ring was to set the aperture on the ring and wonder why I got the F-- message.
07-12-2012, 05:17 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
With a decrippled Kaf3 mount this wouldn't ever be a problem! Sigh, if only. It'd be so great to use the aperture ring in Manual and still have shutter and ISO ready at hand on the front and rear e-dials! When will Pentax give this possibility to us? Will it be with the K-5 successor? Will it be with a FF camera? Will it be ever? Sorry... ranting and off topic.
07-12-2012, 05:54 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by TomTextura Quote
With a decrippled Kaf3 mount this wouldn't ever be a problem! Sigh, if only. It'd be so great to use the aperture ring in Manual and still have shutter and ISO ready at hand on the front and rear e-dials! When will Pentax give this possibility to us? Will it be with the K-5 successor? Will it be with a FF camera? Will it be ever? Sorry... ranting and off topic.
You can sort of do it right now. Short the 'A' pin on the body (look for any of several postings discussing the best way to do this non-destructively and fully reversible - although I have never found a reason to undo it). Once shorted ALL lens are seen as being in the 'A' position, including M and M42 lens. You'll never see the camera giving you the F bomb again.

The down side is you will have to either actually use the 'A' setting on the lens or manually set both the body and lens to have the same aperture value. ...although, based on recent tests with a Pentax-A 50mm/1.7 lens, there is a minor (and I do mean minor, like a 1/3 stop or less) difference in exposure between the 'A' setting and manually setting the same aperture on both body and lens.

07-12-2012, 06:12 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
You can sort of do it right now. Short the 'A' pin on the body (look for any of several postings discussing the best way to do this non-destructively and fully reversible - although I have never found a reason to undo it). Once shorted ALL lens are seen as being in the 'A' position, including M and M42 lens. You'll never see the camera giving you the F bomb again. The down side is you will have to either actually use the 'A' setting on the lens or manually set both the body and lens to have the same aperture value. ...although, based on recent tests with a Pentax-A 50mm/1.7 lens, there is a minor (and I do mean minor, like a 1/3 stop or less) difference in exposure between the 'A' setting and manually setting the same aperture on both body and lens.
While that sounds interesting, and could be fun to play with, I don't see it as actually giving the functionality that a mechanical stop-down coupler would. Nonetheless, I'll look into those non-destructive options as I wasn't aware of them.

BTW, it wouldn't even have to be a new KAF3 mount, it could simply be the original KAF2 mount from 1991. That is, as far as I know. I'm not nearly as knowledgeable as others on the forum. What I do know is that I want to use the aperture ring on my FA lenses and still have the camera know what aperture the lens is set to. That and the extra FOV are what have me eagerly looking to get a film body.

Last edited by TomTextura; 07-12-2012 at 06:57 PM.