Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-13-2012, 05:54 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Dropped SMC Pentax DA* 50-135...

Yes, you read that right. My wife and I- together as a result of miscommunication- managed to drop my (less than a year old) DA*50-135 from about two feet and break it.

When you move it, just holding it in your hands, you can feel something slide around inside. It feels like one of the inner elements is loose. Then there is a rattling noise if you move it side to side. If you turn the focusing ring it fails to focus down all the way. Hooking it up to my K7, the AF motor still works. But it is obviously shot.

So my question is, are there any lens repairs that are not worth doing? Even though this damage won't be covered by the warranty, should I send it into Pentax or bring it to a third party (there are two here in Helsinki that say they repair Pentax) for an estimate?

I was an idiot and didn't insure the lens when I purchased it. Nothing like a $900 mistake to teach you a lesson (We have turned in a homeowners insurance claim, so perhaps they'll pay something...)

07-13-2012, 05:57 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Aww man that sucks to hear. I don't think Pentax will cover that under their warranty, however there'll be a price to fix that I'm sure.
07-13-2012, 06:19 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Given the cost of replacement I think getting an estimate first is a good move. Odds are it won't be an inexpensive repair but it likely will fall well below the cost of replacement.
07-13-2012, 06:25 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks for the sympathies. Quite tragic as it happened on our civil marriage day (church blessing later in the year will be the wedding).

I took a closer look at it. The inner element is dislodged- some kind of plastic ring that holds it in place snapped in one place and now it moves around. Looks like it hits the front element- which can't be good. So I'll stop looking at it- as if that helps anything- and go buy groceries to make dinner for my wife.

I'll take it first thing to a shop on Monday morning, then to another place and see what they estimate.

I do have one more question that I hadn't thought of before. If the repair job is thorough and done professionally, would you expect the weather sealing to be compromised? I just have this awful feeling that I could spend quite a bit of cash getting it repaired to only have a "refurbished" lens that I can't trust out in the elements.

07-13-2012, 06:27 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

I would take this one to the Pentax depot. it may cost more, but they are more likely to ensure the sealing is maintained, though I would ask them that question.
07-13-2012, 06:28 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
Given the cost of replacement I think getting an estimate first is a good move. Odds are it won't be an inexpensive repair but it likely will fall well below the cost of replacement.
Ditto that. Sorry.
07-13-2012, 07:17 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

is it possible your home owners insurance will cover it....i'm really sorry
07-13-2012, 12:13 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Every non-pro should have lenses/bodies/flashes listed on a personal property insurance which can be added to a homeowners or renters policy by most insurers. Every lens, body and flash worth more than $100 that I own is insured for theft and accidental damage. I feel for you, but expecting a drop or theft to not happen is unrealistic. As for repairs, I've had good luck with manufacturers repairing cameras and flashes (no lenses yet, knock on wood). I suspect it can be fixed for less than the cost of replacement. You may want to request a preemptive SDM replacement as well.