Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-13-2012, 03:43 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
DA lens on a FF camera?

I have a *ist DL with an 18-55 AL and an 50-200 ED lens plus a couple FA lens from an film camera . I was considering upgrading to DA* lens. If Pentax introduces a FF sensor will the DA* lens be compatable with it?

07-13-2012, 03:47 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This thread may be helpful:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/31629-da-lens-...ts-thread.html
07-13-2012, 03:49 PM   #3
Veteran Member

You don't want to do that, there will be a huge circle surrounding your image and outside of that circle are sharp black infinitesimal
07-13-2012, 04:08 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
You don't want to do that, there will be a huge circle surrounding your image and outside of that circle are sharp black infinitesimal
Not on all of them. Look at the link I posted.

07-13-2012, 04:30 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks. I guess I'll wait and see which way the wind blows with the rumoured FF camera.
07-13-2012, 04:39 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The DA* primes (55, 200, 300) and the 60-250 should be OK. The 16-50 and 50-135 are definitely not.
07-15-2012, 09:00 AM   #7
dme

I have the Samsung equivalent of the DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL II (which is marked missing in the above thread). Its image circle gets larger as you zoom in from 18 to 55mm. I have never shot film with it, but I have mounted it on film cameras, (a P50 and a *isT), and the image circle fills the viewfinder without obvious vignetting from about 21 or 22mm (somewhere between the 18 and 24 inscribed on the lens).

The viewfinder on the P50 covers 92 percent of the film area, so it appears that the lens would function as a 23/24-55 mm zoom were it to be mounted on a camera with a full frame sensor.

In contrast, the image circle size on my Tamron AF 17-50mm F2.8 XR LD Aspherical IF SP does not change as the lens is zoomed in or out; there is appreciable vignetting in the film cameras' viewfinders at all zoom lengths.

HTH

07-16-2012, 09:32 AM   #8
Veteran Member

When I got my K10D, with the 18-55mm kit lens, I tried the lens on my SF1 film SLR, just for fun. Of course, it functioned perfectly, aperture and autofocus worked just as they do on the K10D.

There was vignetting at focal lengths below about 35mm. Above that, the image filled the frame. There was a little bit of barrel distortion, which disappeared at the longest focal lengths.

So, yes, the kit lens will work on a FF camera, but it really isn't practical. The same is true for all DA* lenses. Some will fill a 24x36mm frame; some will not. They are designed for the APS-C frame, so there are no guarantees. Edge sharpness may be lousy, as well, since the desingers didn't care about anything larger than 16x24mm.

Of course, its a moot point. IMHO, Pentax will never release a FF dslr. FF is a niche market that is dominated by N & C, witha little competition from S. Even if Pentax could compete in that market (which is questionable), there just isn't all that much money to be made. If S, with their much-deeper-than-Pentax' pockets, can't make a dent in that market, what hope does Pentax have? Its not a rapidly growing market segment.

IMHO, Pentax would be better off spending their money trying to gain a foothold in the MILC market, which is still wide open, much larger than the FF niche and is a much larger potential market. In such a market, Pentax stands a much better chance of being profitable than in the FF market. I think that Pentax realizes this, as well. Witness the Q and the K-01. Both are attempts to create a MILC that appeals to the mass market, not the rarified atmosphere of the FF market.

In general, its not a good idea to go after two market leaders in their stronghold. A better strategy is usually to "hit 'em where they ain't". That's the MILC market.

But then, what do I know?
07-16-2012, 09:44 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
the 645D is a niche market product too, but it seem to sell well (considering the size of the medium format market, of course.).

Whatever, there is enough thread to speak about this
07-19-2012, 06:40 PM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the info. I have 2 lenses that came with the *istDL and a few that I had with the K1000 and the SFX. I will wait, until Pentax decides for or against a FF camera, before I invest in any of the "super lenses".