Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-14-2012, 01:33 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Focusing screens

Hello, I've been reading other threads about auto focus problems and some posts recomend a new focusing screen. I wonder if someone would explain what a focusing screen is / what a new one would achieve/ how you fit and how you choose which one is best for you. I have a k5 .Thanks

07-14-2012, 04:25 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TylerD Quote
Hello, I've been reading other threads about auto focus problems and some posts recomend a new focusing screen. I wonder if someone would explain what a focusing screen is / what a new one would achieve/ how you fit and how you choose which one is best for you. I have a k5 .Thanks
A focusing screen is what the image you view through the viewfinder is displayed on.

It is used in manual focus to focus the image ( basing your decision on the perceived sharpness of the image) you can get replacement screens with focusing aids such as a split image, to make manual focusing easier, BUT, focusing screens have absolutely nothing to do with AF.

What focusing screens an impact is metering because the meter measures light off the focusing screen. The K10D was well known as a camera that metered poorly with older manual aperture lenses, partly due to the focusing screen
07-14-2012, 07:17 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery
Mean we can change the focusing screen for manual focusing! Can k200d change?
07-14-2012, 09:36 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
as far a I know all DSLRs have removable screens. many are similar, for example *istD , K10D and K20 D can be swapped, Same I think with K5 and K7

I am not sure what specific cameras have the same screens, but you can generally get third party screens with split images from china or from Katxeye (but Katzeye are more expensive)

07-20-2012, 09:30 AM   #5

You can also get them from Focusing Screen

There is extensive information in this thread: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5/142241-best-screen-ever-manual...anon-ee-s.html

My personal summary of all that is: if you generally use small, fast, manual-focus lenses you'd be advised to buy one of the Canon ones, pre-cut and supplied with a tool and shims from the site I linked above, it's also said to be cheaper than Katzeye and great quality too.