Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-15-2012, 08:01 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Debris in viewfinder

Hello,

I recently dropped my K5 in its Lowepro bag. Everything works OK (it didn't fall far) but I now have visible debris in the viewfinder. Does anyone know how to clean out the viewfinder....... or do I send for repair when I finally can't stand looking at the bits any longer?

07-15-2012, 08:04 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Most likely, you have something on your focusing screen. Take the lens off and use a blower (such as this one) to clean it.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

07-15-2012, 08:20 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Most likely, you have something on your focusing screen. Take the lens off and use a blower (such as this one) to clean it.
That could very well be it and Adam's advice is good. I just want to add a word of caution: You should blast your blower a few times before using it so as to clear it out. I always recommend this ever since I got gunk on my focusing screen because my blower had little specs of rubber residue in it that sprayed and stuck to the screen when I was trying to clean it. I'm still living with the little black specs in my viewfinder until I can either buy the appropriate cleaning kit or take it in for a professional cleaning. Focusing screens are extremely scratch prone so don't try wiping it with even a lens cleaning cloth.
07-16-2012, 12:20 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Many thanks to both of you for your advice

07-16-2012, 01:19 PM   #5
Veteran Member

If you do not own one the single most frequently listed "must have" item for a dSLR kit is the Gittos Rocket Blaster
Giottos Rocket Blaster - Extra Large reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database
07-16-2012, 10:58 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Beware of cheap imitations, the insides can come apart and blow flakes of rubber into your camera body, a real Giottos is not expensive.
07-17-2012, 04:46 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by elliott Quote
Beware of cheap imitations, the insides can come apart and blow flakes of rubber into your camera body, a real Giottos is not expensive.
True. They're around $12, and unlike the cheap ones they have a filter on the air intake opening. But any hand blower can start to come apart eventually because each time you use it you are deforming the walls.
07-17-2012, 06:11 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by elliott Quote
Not bad advice but it was a real Giotto, the smaller Q-ball model, that sprayed rubber flakes onto my focusing screen and that remain stuck there still.

07-17-2012, 06:31 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TomTextura Quote
Not bad advice but it was a real Giotto, the smaller Q-ball model, that sprayed rubber flakes onto my focusing screen and that remain stuck there still.
Any material that is deformed on a regular basis will degrade, even those that use higher grade materials. Add in storage circumstances and conditions and you can have degradation happen rather quickly. I try to blow my blower either onto a piece of white paper like printer paper or a tissue before using it on my glass, or at least onto my hand, to make certain that it's still in good condition.
07-17-2012, 06:39 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Any material that is deformed on a regular basis will degrade, even those that use higher grade materials. Add in storage circumstances and conditions and you can have degradation happen rather quickly. I try to blow my blower either onto a piece of white paper like printer paper or a tissue before using it on my glass, or at least onto my hand, to make certain that it's still in good condition.
True. I think my Giotto must have been on the shelf in the store for a long time because it was new and still blew out a ton of gunk. Great tip on using a white piece of paper to check the status! I wish they could make a low-intensity compressed air can for delicately removing dust and such while being completely contaminant free.
07-17-2012, 06:43 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TomTextura Quote
True. I think my Giotto must have been on the shelf in the store for a long time because it was new and still blew out a ton of gunk. Great tip on using a white piece of paper to check the status! I wish they could make a low-intensity compressed air can for delicately removing dust and such while being completely contaminant free.
Even blowing it onto your hand can save you. Really sorry you got a bad blower. Contaminant free compressed air, wow - that would be great but it would COST. Dentists use a variation of what you would want to dry teeth and mouth areas for specific procedures and their air is, supposedly, contaminant free. My recollection is that those units are 5-8x as expensive as comparable units that are not for medical use and do not produce contaminant free air streams. Seems that bottled air might follow the same pricing scheme and thereby be 5-8x as much as the compressed air sold to blow out computer parts and such.