Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-15-2012, 09:20 AM   #1
Forum Member

K2000 (K-m) CCD question

Hey guys
Having only had my K2000 for a couple of weeks now and having a good time getting myself acclimated with it, I now have a new question that I have been unable to get an answer to.
I was at a local Astronomy expo yesterday in Oceanside, Calif. and was talking to the store's DSLR guru. I mentioned my camera and he told me that because the K2000 uses a CCD instead of a CMOS chip, that my bulb exposures for astrophotography, should be limited to about 2 minutes max. He said the CCD by its nature gets "hot" as compared to a CMOS and long exposure times will progressively created more & more noise.
In your experiences, how right, or wrong is he?

Also, when shooting lets say a 2 minute exposure, the camera become unusable for at least that long while it is processing the results. Is this about normal?
Are newer CMOS chip DSLRs that way as well?

Thanks!!!

Bernd

07-15-2012, 09:56 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's true that CCD's generate more heat, but I don't think you're limited to 2 minutes.

QuoteOriginally posted by BerndM Quote
Also, when shooting lets say a 2 minute exposure, the camera become unusable for at least that long while it is processing the results. Is this about normal?
Yes, that's normal. As long as you have slow shutter speed noise reduction (aka dark frame subtraction) enabled in the menu, you will have to wait for however long the exposure was after shooting.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-16-2012, 10:03 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I dont know about the CCD question. But like Adam said disable the noise reduction function during slow shutter speed and you will be ok.
The only problem now is that you will get some noise even at ISO 100.
I normally enable it if I am at place where I am not in a hurry with my shots.

But if you are shooting fireworks you will want to disable it or else you will loose half of the fireworks.
07-28-2012, 01:42 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery
k-m for astrophotography

I use k-m for shooting astro. I know that there are very few people using Pentax for astro at all. Here is a link to a part of an article that will be published in one Bulgarian magazine:

Free Cloud Storage - MediaFire

If you use Opera it may not display well.

Regards,

07-30-2012, 08:03 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks a LOT for that great article on astrophotography. The images taken with the K-m were exactly was I was hoping to see. Very impressive!
I don't think I'm willing at this time to remove the IR filter from the camera, but this may be something for the future.

Bernd
07-30-2012, 01:40 PM   #6

You can have a great photos with non modified Pentax as well. For astro you will need good enough equatorial mouth to be able to take long exposures of about 2 - 5+ minutes. At least EQ3 or greater for focal length from 50 mm to 300 and EQ5 and greater for more

You can get great results with stacking method - check "Deepsky Stacker"
For remote shooting from a laptop there is software - PK Tether

Here are photos from the last year when the camera wasn't modified yet. Most of them are single frames (only the galaxy M31 is a composite of 5 frames) but staking is the magic of the astrophotography:

http://www.cosmicbeat.hit.bg/astronomy/index.html

I will open a new thread for the IR mode for this camera

Greeting,
10-19-2012, 11:33 AM   #7

How to remove the AA filter on the K2000?

09-24-2014, 11:15 AM   #8

I just see that the URL in my article is bad.
Here is better one from the web site of Planetarium - Gabrovo:
http://planetarium-gb.eu/pentax_astrophotography.pdf
Also my photos with this camera and 200mm telescope could be found at the new Google + page:
https://plus.google.com/photos/115121054009685316150/albums/6054153707376959825